[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - The Halifax Three + 1

The Halifax Three + 1

Share stories and discussions about Denny Doherty.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

The Halifax Three + 1

Postby beccabear » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:52 pm

Now, I may've been hallucinating or dreaming but I believe I once saw an LP record titled The Halifax Three + 1, and the 1 was Zal Yanovsky. The color jacket showed the three lying in a boat of some kind with Zal standing holding a guitar. I've hunted down some rare Canadian record releases over the years, but since seeing this in passing somewhere a long time ago I have never been able to find it since. I would have to assume it would have been their final release. I've had people be kind of abusive to me about there is no way this could exist in the past to the point where I almost think I really have lost it, but I will keep on looking. Someone in my home town probably bought it from the shop I saw it in and even still has it. Oh for a time machine...
beccabear

Re: The Halifax Three + 1

Postby Nicole » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:03 am

Hi beccabear,
Unfortunately, I've never seen that album, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exsist. It could be a re-issue od some sort. Do you remeber anything else about it, like the name of the record company? Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby beccabear » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:44 am

Hi Nicole.
No idea about the label. I've thought back on it so often but can't imagine it was a bootleg, and I did see some of those around. I just didn't really know enough back then, and I only had an interest in it as it was on a wall right in front of me and I knew of Denny having grown up with the first M & Ps LP around, I didn't know anything about Zal Yanovsky, just that the Beatle looking guy with the guitar was obviously the +1. It's certainly possible it was some kind of Canadian label reissue to capitalize on Zal and Denny. To be honest for all I know it was just a picture with no record for something that never happened. I was maybe 12 years old and the first time in a funky hippyish type of used records shop (Mezzrow's that went under before I got to go there much). :roll:

This is one of those things that like an piece of dirt to an oyster has irritated me a long time and I wonder if I've made it into a pearl it never was? :)
beccabear

Postby CassFanForLife » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:04 am

Hiya BeccaBear ( nice to see another fellow Canucker fan on here :) ) and Nicole :)

Okay, you have stoked my curiousity on this.....Next time I 'm at the used record store I frequent now and then in town, I might just inquire about this ..... If I get some feedback, I'll share on here. Sorry I couldn't be of help . Just a little side note...Last time I was in Kingston, ON a couple of yrs ago, Zal's restaurant Chez ??? still existed !?
CassFanForLife

Postby Nicole » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:08 am

Hi Cassfan,
As far as I know, Zal Yanovsky's restaurant, Chez Piggy still exists. I haven't read that it closed.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:46 am

Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Rbcsoup » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:35 am

I know of this photograph with Zal standing up in the boat and have a copy of it ---although only in black and white. Never known of such a record--it would definitely be some repackaging of the H3's already released body of work. There are some unreleased recordings of Denny and Zal when they were a Surf Band/Act known as "D & Z" which was after The H3 but before The Mugwumps---but only one or two recordings and never an album. I have The Colonials album mentioned--it has a graphic cover.

Even if the thing was some sort of "after the fact" Canadian compilation/repackage, like others, I would love to see it!

Richard
Rbcsoup

Postby Rbcsoup » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:40 am

My copy of that photo is either in a Hootenanny type magazine or in their spreads for Hairdo Magazine or Chatelaine Magazin.....
Rbcsoup

Postby beccabear » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:58 pm

I remember a greenish blue color to the photo and that it had lettering including +1/Plus One. I collect old magazines like Hullabaloo and Cheetah now but haven't come across anything there, the few Canadian magazines like that are pretty scarce.

I've looked for certain Canadian and British folk LPs and singles I know do exist for years and have yet to find some, even on fairly well known labels. Sometimes I've found there are only promo copies from an extinct radio station. I've seen a few LP jackets that were never actually produced but had some printings made for some reason... there was Buffalo Springfield Stampede Atco album which is pretty famous, but also a Rising Sons jacket for Columbia and a The Stalk-Forrest Group jacket on Elektra which also were never completed.
beccabear

Postby KimL » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:17 pm

Wow, what an intriguing topic! I sure hope your pearl comes to the surface at some point, Beccabear! How fascinating...

And, oh, my!!! Halifax Three songs I've never heard... makes me wanna cry. :( Had no idea about the existence of that super rare LP. Richard will have to enjoy it all the more so we can experience it vicariously. :)
----------
"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
~Marcel Proust
KimL

Return to Denny Doherty