What's up with Cass' domestic catalog?

Ask or tell others about where to find Cass Elliot products and memorabilia.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

What's up with Cass' domestic catalog?

Postby jcg » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:14 pm

Does anyone know why there's such a chasm between foreign and domestic releases of Cass' material? It seems like there is a major re-assessment of Cass' recorded legacy going on in Japan and yet, here in the US, her material seems to be available almost exclusively through scattered compilations. Anyone who is a newcomer to her music would have a hell of a time gathering her recorded material, since they seem to go out-of-print faster than anyone can keep up with them.

Is it a question of rights? It certainly couldn't be lack-of-interest: a cursory read through this forum reveals a fervent desire for an authoritative re-assessment.

If anyone can please shed light on this I would appreciate it.

jcg
jcg

Re: What's up with Cass' domestic catalog?

Postby adamcarr » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi JCG,

I've wondered the same thing myself! Before the "2-for" was released I even looked into and spoke with a few people about starting a label to get all Cass' stuff back out there, responses I got were very positive as here in Australia most only know Cass from the M&P's and had no idea about her solo work. Then the wonderful people at Collectors Chioce did their release.

I "Dream a little Dream'" that one day EVERYONE EVERYWHERE would have access to Cass' entire catalogue at resonable prices, I'm hoping that maybe after the M&P's Movie gets done it may lead to a reawakening of interest in Cass on a much bigger scale. It happened when Halle Berry did the Dorothy Dandridge Bio-Pic which lead to a massive resurgence of her Films and Recordings.

We can Dream, Can We?
Cheers,
Adam
adamcarr

Postby jcg » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:48 am

Hi Adam,

I agree! Especially since the CE/Road twofer was released last year. I played that CD for what seems like months (still do), astonished by the transcendental talent of this incredible woman. When I tried to collect her other albums, I realized how incomplete her catalog was on CD. I bought the Hip-O collection for like $45 and eventhough I thought it was pricy, I'm now glad I did, as "Dream" & "Bubblegum" are not available in the USA on CD.

I know Cass' post Ms & Ps work wasn't as commercially successful as the former band, but I can't believe that anyone whose voice is so essential (and whose incredible talent reaches through 35+ years and tears your heart out with each listen) is so poorly represented on Compact Disc in her own country. All those awesome, but VERY pricy, Japanese reissues that are upcoming make the situation the more frustrating.

Here's hoping that Richard or Owen would help clear the air about this subject.

jcg
jcg

Postby CassFanForLife » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:48 am

Here to here to what was said here...I'm in agreement, which also gets to wondering, since I'm Canadian, if there is a Canadian label or independent label that does have or has in the past released any Cass stuff or Mamas and Papas ? Probably have for Denny , being the Canadian lad he was . If anyone has some info on this , the Canadian perspective as I'm not too great with what to even look for in that dept., that would be helpful . Thankyou.
CassFanForLife

Return to Products and Memorabilia