New People Like Us reissue with bonus tracks!

Ask or tell others about where to find Cass Elliot products and memorabilia.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: New People Like Us reissue with bonus tracks!

Postby Nicole » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:47 am

Hi pauliewood,
You're welcome. I agree, John Phillips was a genius producer.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Eran » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Hey guys,

So here I am on amazon.co.uk having a stare down with the new People Like Us release and I just have to ask, what's the verdict here? Do I bother with this release or not?

I do have all songs (on several past re-releases) and bonus tracks too. Question is, will I be enjoying superior sound quality on the album tracks? what about bonus tracks? Better sound that the original JP releases from a few years ago? Can't imagine that'd be the case.

The thing I am potentially most excited about are the liner notes and what amazon describes as rare footage. Being a collector, that is reason enough for me to shell out the 7GBP but again - is it worth it or have I seen it ALL before?

Thanks!

Eran
Eran

Postby Nicole » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:08 am

Hi Eran,
Even though the bonus tracks are ones we've seen on previous releases, I think the sound quality is supposed to be superior. But don't quote me on that. Also, the liner aeem to be exstensive. Previous cd re-issues of PLU, as far as I know haven't had any. I'm just glad this album is being re-issued. Hope this helps you make a decision.
Take care,
Nicole

Postby pauliewood » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:36 am

the "expanded" PLU has been released yet. New date is 7/16/12. I have doubts it will sound any better than what we have heard. If anyone wants to spend $20 something dollars for info they probably already are aware of..go for it!
pauliewood

Postby pauliewood » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:39 am

It would be nice to receive some official info regarding this release from someone in the know. I don't care about liner notes personally. I have all the history I need. I would love tracks that have been previously un-released, but do not think we are getting with this collection. I doubt the sound quality will be that much significantly better that the Varese releases, which were excellent.
pauliewood

Postby Eran » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:26 am

I finally received my copy of the reissue yesterday in the post, which now means I currently own the People Like Us album roughly six times if not more, in one released format or another, and I must say, this newest purchase was worth every penny.

I get that some don't care about liner notes. I do. A great deal, and Richard's and Jeffrey's collaborative efforts here give you in depth liner notes that are exceptionally riveting for anyone's who has ever been interested in the backstory of an album, especially one which, for years, we have only ever heard how no one wanted to make and hated every damned second of it. Those of you who will buy this release will learn that that was not entirely the case.

As for sound, after one listen I personally think the quality is superior, to the last few reissues. Vocals to me are sounding crisper and clearer in this version, and are not swallowed out by the musical arrangements as I've found was the case in past releases.

I recommend picking up this release. Think of it as replacing the frame of a puzzle you'd already dubbed finished, with a newer, higher quality frame that suddenly lets you see in depth as well.

Hat's off to Jeffrey Greenberg and our own Richard Capmbell.
Eran

Postby Nicole » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:51 am

Hi Eran,
I agree with you, I'm another person who likes liner notes. The liner nores in PLU alone are worth it. I found them to be fascinating, particularly where they discuss Michelle Phillips wanting to get the group back together after they had been apart. I hadn't known that before reading it tin the notes, among other things.
Take care,
Nicole

Postby CassFanForLife » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:48 am

Ok, that's it...I HAVE TO GET THIS !!!!!! Only problem is...is it only available through Amazon.Co.Uk ? Does anyone know where I can get it elsewhere ? I can only pay by money order though for it. Help ?! Please ?! Thanks ....I'll also inquire at my fave record shop , they may/may not be able top order it if i can't get it anywhere else ?! And, I too am a Linear notes fan :)
CassFanForLife

Postby pauliewood » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks, Eran...I will definitely purchase based on your review. And "CassForLifeFan", yes, you can order it from amazon US, in fact it's a lot less expensive. Not sure they take money orders, never paid that way.
pauliewood

Postby CassFanForLife » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi pauliewood.....
I'm from Canada so I could I suppose order from Amazon USA as the Amazon Canada more than likely will not hav e it and I only pay by money orders as I don't hav home internet and refuse to do online stuff on public computers !
CassFanForLife

PreviousNext

Return to Products and Memorabilia