New People Like Us reissue with bonus tracks!

Ask or tell others about where to find Cass Elliot products and memorabilia.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: New People Like Us reissue with bonus tracks!

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:01 pm

I would love to know the answer to this as well.
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby pauliewood » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:42 pm

it appears the "administrator" pays little attention to this site. If I had a site to tender, I would at least check in it on a every other day basis, at the least. Oh well. Perhaps Richard doesn't want the truth out that the extra tracks are not actually "Mamas and Papas" recordings, and nothing new that Varese didn't already release. That is all I can surmise from his non-attentiveness to this issue. I will withhold purchasing now, until I hear some official word.
pauliewood

Postby Eran » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Perhaps Richard doesn't want the truth out?!

SERIOUSLY?

You need to lay off the Oliver Stone conspiracy films, dear. Any self-respecting fan with an ounce of internet savvy about them could run the simplest of searches and figure out those factoids for themselves without having to hold their breath for confirmation from Richard who has never been anything but super helpful to anyone posting here.

In fact, Richard's been doing a stellar job on this site in its many incranations over the years, and has done so much good behind the scenes, helping some of those releases we've been pining for for years, actually see the light of day.

Richard may well be conspiring with Nixon, Jimmy Hoffa and TuPac to withhold the truth about those tracks...or perhaps, just perhaps...he's got family, kids and a job?
Eran

Postby pauliewood » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:26 pm

Thank you, Eran, for your repsonse. I was never Implying anything you are, but I am willing to stand by my statement as to why there has been no response to this date to a simple inquiry. Richard is the administrator of this site, correct? Wouldn't it be a courteous to address the concerns of a fan? Hell, a couple of weeks is a long time.
pauliewood

Postby Owen Elliot-Kugell » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:14 am

"PLU" is a re-issue, licensed by Universal for UK release only. The additional tracks are NOT the Mamas and the Papas, but apparently solo John Phillips material.

Do not be duped into believing this is a "special" reissue. Nothing has been "done" except repackaging and adding JP songs.
Owen Elliot-Kugell

Postby pauliewood » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:38 pm

thank you , Owen! you are a living doll. I figured as much as I doubted the full group (sadly) every recorded "April Anne" (wouldn't THAT have been a mavel!). And as for Eran, you may want to check in for a med change or adjustment. Pretty looney tune accusations, buddy.
pauliewood

Postby Eran » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:03 am

Meds are working just fine, Paulie love, thanks for the genuine concern :)

Sorry if my comment sounded a bit harsh, but even if Richard does sometime take a while to answer, he doesn't deserve to be lashed out on publicly. Reiterating what I had said earlier, he has done so much for Mamas & Papas and Cass fans over the years, honouring their legacy and pushing for reissues, re-releases etc. so if he at times takes a while to get back to me, or anyone else for that matter then I am happy to hold my breath.

Now, water under bridge?

E. :)
Eran

Postby pauliewood » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:01 pm

sure thing, Eran. My meds aren't working so well, otherwise I wouldn't be up this late typing ;) I didn't mean the personal comments. I respect Richard, and know he probably just doesn't get to this board maybe as often as he would like. I still plan on purchasing the import, as I am curious about the sound, plus anything John Phillips has to offer.
pauliewood

Postby Rbcsoup » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:35 am

Hello. I have been on vacation for the past couple of weeks. I am not always able to check in here when I'm out of town and chasing kiddos on the beach. But I do try to keep up with the board.

I can't answer the questions about the bonus tracks any better than has already been attempted here. I'm not in charge of this CD--it's being done by the John Phillips Estate and from what I have understood--some of the proposed bonus tracks are not set in stone. The last time I received a listing--this is what it was--

1. Fantastic Four .
2. Lady Genevieve
3. No Dough (a/k/a Honeymoon)
4. Mississippi
5. April Anne
6. Revolution On Vacation
7. Cup Of Tea
8. Andy’s Walkin’ Blues
9. Me and My Uncle

I did submit an essay for the liner notes. Again, they may or may not be used. I've written pieces for some of the other Papa John Phillips Presents recordings. In some cases, my work was used unedited. In other cases it was received and then added to by others.

My goal in such endeavors is to present as historical and full a picture, in writing, as possible. Particularly with respect to Cass' vantage point. I do care deeply about her legacy and that of The Mamas and The Papas.

Richard
Rbcsoup

Postby pauliewood » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks, Richard. I have listened to "People Like Us" countless times since its release, and I have to say, I still wonder which songs actually have Cass singing in them? I realize John stated once that he greatly under-utilized Cass' voice during this recording, but I do not hear her at all in almost half these tracks. I recall a Billboard piece in the late 60's stating that John, Denny and Michelle would be recording as the Mamas and the Papas without Cass. The only selections I believe I hear Cass' voice definitively in are "People Like Us" "Pacific Coast Highway" "Pearl" "Grasshopper" and "Blueberries for Breakfast" (maybe "No Dough" not sure about that one). Can anyone clarify?
pauliewood

PreviousNext

Return to Products and Memorabilia