Karen Carpenter

Non-Cass Elliot related discussion threads belong here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Karen Carpenter

Postby Sportguynj1 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:51 pm

Just finished reading the brand new Karen Carpenter biography by Randy Schmidt called "Little Girl Blue" and it was one the best, albeit saddest, stories I've ever read. After reading the book I realized that Karen and Cass had quite a bit in common. They both were two of the best and most recognized female vocalists (both were contraltos) in pop music history - recording with 2 of the greatest groups of all time - The Mamas and the Papas and The Carpenters. Although their careers spanned just over 10 years each, they recorded such memorable hits, won Grammy awards and world-wide acclaim for their talent - and, unfortunately, both died from heart failure due to weight-related issues at the age of only 32.

Although both Cass and Karen left us way too soon we will always have the gift of their legacy of music to remember them by.

Rob
Sportguynj1

Re: Karen Carpenter

Postby Nicole » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:57 am

Hi Rob,
I just read Little Girl Blue myself. I agree with your assesment. It's a great read. I think author Randy Schmidt was very compassionate toward his subject, something you don't see enough of these days. I also liked the group photo at the Grammys of past Grammy winners, including Michelle Phillips.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Sportguynj1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks Nicole - it's too bad both Karen and Cass both left us too soon - I can only imagine what they both would have accomplished if they had lived. I'm sure they both would have had amazing solo careers, done TV specials and perhaps even Broadway shows. I like when Michelle would say that she imagined Cass would have had her own talk show - I could definitely see that since she was such an outgoing and quick-witted gal! At least we still have the legacy of their music so that we and generations to come can enjoy and appreciate their talented and beautiful voices.

And you're right, that is a beautiful picture of Michelle in that Grammy Awards photo!

Take care,

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby Nicole » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:25 am

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the reply to my post. Happy Fourth of July!
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Return to Off-topic Discussion