Janis Joplin

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Janis Joplin

Postby Brownjb81 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:14 am

Yesterday marked the 47th anniversary of Janis Joplin's death. She died on October 4, 1970 at the age of 27 of a heroin overdose. The anniversary of her death got me thinking about something. I got me wondering about if Cass ever had an association with Janis. It's well known that Cass was sitting in the audience at the Monterey Pop Festival watching Janis perform in 1967. My questions are:

1. Were Cass and Janis friends?

2. Were they rivals?

3. Did they ever meet each other?

They are 2 of my favorite artists and I have always been fascinated with both of them.
Brownjb81

Re: Janis Joplin

Postby GlennS » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:06 am

I've never seen anything about Cass and Janis being friends, but I remember watching a documentary in which one of the members of Big Brother and the Holding Company said there had been talk of Janis joining the Mamas and the Papas at one point, probably when she knew she was splitting from Big Brother. I wonder if that was when Cass was going out on her own and maybe John thought he could replace her with Janis. Hard to imagine how that would have worked, or why Janis would have been interested....a heavy blues singer in a folk-rock quartet would be weird, although who knows?
GlennS

Re: Janis Joplin

Postby glennc » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:14 pm

I remember reading somewhere that Cass and Janis hung out and got drunk together one night. I think Cass shared this in an interview. Sorry that I don't remember more about it.
glennc

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion