"Didn't want to have to do it"

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

"Didn't want to have to do it"

Postby Alby » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:56 am

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that the two versions of "Didn't want to have to do it" Cass sang were recorded in 1966, during the recording of the Lovin' Spoonful's LP "Daydream". That's what I read in the CD notes where it's from, in internet.

See you,

Albert.
Alby

Re: "Didn't want to have to do it"

Postby John Sands » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:52 am

nice bit of info. Thanks for sharing Alby. I love Cass's version of that tune. Like it was made for her, like the tune "Sweet Believer" from the first album. Had Cass' s name written all over it.
John Sands

Postby Rbcsoup » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:41 pm

Actually, I think that Alan Lorber is a little off on this dating--more likely, it's my opinion that Cass recorded this during the period after The Mugwumps (November 1964) and the beginning of The Ms and Ps a year later in October 1965. I think that the Daydream sessions with The Spoonful may have been sooner than 1966 anyway.
Rbcsoup

Postby Alby » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:15 pm

Yes Richard, you were right about the recording sessions period, it was recorded Aug 1965-Dec 1965 as All music guide says, there you are the liner notes from the CD I read Cass recorded the song during that period:

http://store.irismusicgroup.com/heres-a ... -vol-.html
Alby

Postby JHamilton08 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:04 pm

This was a surprise find for me on Amazon's downloads section about a month ago. Really liking the arrangement and, of course, Cass's performance. A perfect song for autumn time.
JHamilton08

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion