Remembering Mary Travers

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Remembering Mary Travers

Postby Rbcsoup » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:51 am

Mary was a good friend of Cass all the way back to The Big 3 days -- they used to take on Bloomingdales by storm with Cass' mother's credit card.

It's great that the press is carrying clips from Cass' 1969 special with Mary and Joni Mitchell is some of the coverage of her death today. She was a real icon of the times.
Rbcsoup

Re: Remembering Mary Travers

Postby John Sands » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:03 am

I saw her once over 10 years ago coming out of a theatre off 8th Ave. NYC, holding the hands of 2 little kids who were, I imagine, her grandkids. She was dressed to the nines and in heels, the elegant lady out on the town in NYC. I waved to her and since she could not wave back because she was holding on to the kids, she shot me one of the warmest smiles ever. So classy a dame she was/is.
John Sands

Postby Nicole » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:47 am

Hi John,
Wow, what a nice story. May Mary Tarvers rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers are with her family. :cry:
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby John Sands » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:39 am

Yes Nicole, it was a short, fleeting and sweet moment.
John Sands

Postby davidasix » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:29 pm

Watching the Mama Cass DVD today, I loved to see Mary Travers bobbing and weaving in her characteristic way such that the cameraman couldn't keep her in frame. I had the privilege of seeing PP&M in concert in San Diego in 2003 (or so). Mary was soon to have knee surgery, but she couldn't help standing up from her stool and bobbing and weaving despite what her knees said. She did sing the first verse of a song twice. The guys teased her mercilessly as only the best of friends do. What a great concert. Hadn't heard "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" live before. Such a haunting tune - just one listen and it sticks to you.

Dave
davidasix

Postby John Sands » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:34 am

I loved the way her voice, like our dear Cass' voice, soared above the rest yet blended with them perfectly.
John Sands

Postby KimL » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:48 pm

Have been knee-deep in work, and didn't hear about Mary's transition until this morning. She was wonderful and my thoughts and prayers are with her family, friends and fans.

John, thanks for sharing that great moment with us. :)

Dave, I agree whole-heartedly about "...Flowers..."; such a stirring, haunting song.

Warmest,
Kim
----------
"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
~Marcel Proust
KimL

Postby John Sands » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:29 pm

and when I was a kid 'Puff the Magic Dragon' was a big hreo of mine, really
John Sands

Postby Nicole » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:23 am

Hi John,
When I was a kid, Iloved Puff... too. I love the animated special that used to air on tv, with the late great Burgess Meredith as the voice of Puff. I used to watch it when I was a kid every time it came on.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby John Sands » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:49 am

Nicole,
It seems that we love Puff as much as 'little Jackie Paper' does!
John Sands

Next

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion