Make Your Own

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Make Your Own

Postby Gibbsey » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:00 pm

For me this is Cass at her best she sings this so well and with so much strentgh in her voice. can anyone tell some history on this song. I know it featured in the LOST series for awhile but did Cass write it?? how big of a hit was it for her and did she ever do an interview regarding the song. Also one other question whenshe left the M&P's did John Phillips have any input in her career or produce any of her albums??. I do like a lot of John's music especially Mississippi but after Cass left her music just improved out of sight.

Cheers
Gibbsey

Re: Make Your Own

Postby Nicole » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:22 am

Hi Gibbsey,
Cass did not write Make Your Kind of Music. It was written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil. Here are the chart positions: Pop #36 Adult Contemporary #6. (These are U.S. Chart positions. Unfortunately, I don't know how the song did in countries like England.) As far as I know, John Phillips never produced any of her solo albums. As far as an interview about the song, I'm not sure. I hope I was able to help answer some of your questions. Have a great day.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Gibbsey » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:55 am

Hi Nicloe... Thanks for the info I am trying to find out the chart sucess here in Australia but having a lit bit of trouble but it will keep me busy gee Barry Mann what didn't he write !!! he even managed a great song for our great lady to huh. I have read a lot on Cass on the net and have found it very interesting. The reason I asked about John Phillips is because I got the feeling at the end it was a seperation that was a very happy arrangement for Cass. I hope I am not being overly nosey here but any idea what sort of friendship they had after the split?? I believe she had a lot of contact with Michelle ?? Take care Nicole Cheers Gibbsey :)
Gibbsey

Postby Nicole » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:37 am

Hi Gibbsey,
I don't know about Cass's relationship with John Phillips after the group split. I do know that from reading his book, Papas John, Cass attended his 1972 wedding to Genevieve Waite. I agree with you, Cass did have alot of contact with Michelle Phillips after the split, as well as Denny Doherty. Michelle and Cass did the backing vocals for Denny's 1974 album, Waiting For a Song. Hope this helps.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Midnight Voyager » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Although Cass had high respect for John, when she left the Mamas & Papas she wanted to go forth with a solo career to establish herself, with associations with other people. At that point she and John were heading in different musical directions.
Midnight Voyager

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion