Cass song on Science Channel documentary

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Cass song on Science Channel documentary

Postby jcg » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:46 pm

I was watching a documentary on the Science Channel called Predicting Monster Earthquakes from 2009 and, appropriately enough, Cass' "California Earthquake" was featured prominantly in one section. Very cool.
jcg

Re: Cass song on Science Channel documentary

Postby Nicole » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:39 am

Hi jcg,
Very cool, indded thanks for the post. Have a great day. :D
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Nicole » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:40 am

I maent to say: Very cool ,Indeed. :oops:
Take care,
Nicole

Postby jcg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:48 pm

You're welcome Nicole. By the way, ironically, this is very timely: last week, we had an earthquake that was focused in the hills just west of Cass' Laurel Canyon residence and it was quite a jolt. Although it was a moderate quake and there was little damage anywhere, it was the first time in recorded history there was an earthquake on that fault. It does, indeed, seem that "The faultline runs right through here!"

take care,
jcg
jcg

Postby Nicole » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:15 am

Hi Jcg,
Glad to hear you're okay. Was that the quake that registered something like 4.4 on the Richter scale at 6:30 Pacific time? "The faultline runs right thtough here", indeed. Have a great day. :)
Take care,
Nicole

Postby jcg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:19 pm

Hi Nicole,

That's the one. It shook me awake but lasted only about 10 seconds. The epicenter was Westwood; but, the fault broke toward the Santa Monica Mountains just west of Laurel Canyon. Cass' house on Woodrow Wilson Drive is about 5-10 miles east of where the quake was centered. The house must have rocked-and-rolled pretty hard--sorry about the pun.

The Richter scale measures total energy released, which translates to how much area is affected by the quake. It does not really measure shaking intensity. Eventhough the magnitude was only 4.4, it struck under a heavily populated area and only about five miles below the surface. As a result, it felt more intense to those right under or near it then it did to those further away.

The fault was different from the one the house sits on. I don't know the name of the fault that broke; but, it is part of a network of faults that form the Santa Monica Mountains and the Hollywood Hills. It runs along the hills and merges with the Hollywood Fault, which itself forms Laurel Canyon. This is the scarp you see on Vine just north of the iconic Capitol Records building.

In any event, the quake was a doozy! I'll hear Cass' Earthquake song a little differently now.

take care,
jcg
jcg

Postby Nicole » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:31 am

Hi jcg,
Thank you for the earthquake information. I'll hear Cass's "Califronia Earthquake a little differently from now on, too.
Take care,
Nicole

Postby jcg » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi Nicole,

You're welcome. Again, ironically, this is timely: we had a swarm of earthquakes last night: AS I READ YOUR RESPONSE! I was about to reply when an even bigger one than last week struck. This one was a 5.1 and lasted about 30 seconds. Oh, the thrills and chills of California. I'll just have to keep repeating: "we have good weather, we have good weather...," to myself.

take care,
jcg
jcg

Postby Nicole » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:06 am

Hi jcg,
Glad to hear you're okay. "California Earthquake" definitley has a diffwrent meaning for me now.
Take care,
Nicole

Postby CassFanForLife » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:14 am

Hi Nicole and jcg...WOW !!! yes, indeed, you certainly would now have a new insight/take on C ass' song after all that , glad you were unharmed. We get the occasional little earthquakes here where I am now and then but nothing like out in California or in British Columbia. All I can say is to keep on being prepared , have your survival kit on the ready , all topped up, pray, keep on.....
CassFanForLife

Next

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion