Donald von Wiedenman on marriage to Cass

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Donald von Wiedenman on marriage to Cass

Postby jcg » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:10 pm

I have to believe that somewhere buried deep in an archive on this site, someone has already posted this invaluable article from 1971. If not, Here 'tis:

http://hersheybarsandnylons.com/writing ... _star.html

Enjoy,
jcg
jcg

Re: Donald von Wiedenman on marriage to Cass

Postby Nicole » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:01 am

Hi jcg,
Interesting article, thank you for posting. :D
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby jcg » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:51 pm

Hi Nicole,

You're very welcome. I think this article throws a light (however one-sided) on a very mysterious time in Cass' life. I think it is an invaluable resource.

take care,
JC
jcg

Postby Rbcsoup » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:53 am

It is a well written essay and I agree with JCG that it may be one-sided but that it is insightful. It lines up fairly well with what DVW said on the E! True Hollywood Story special from a number of years ago. I think it also highlights the difference in perspective on substance use/abuse from that era as compared to now. The stigmas, treatment, social acceptability of such struggles and the realities of use are far different in 2014 than forty years prior....
Rbcsoup

Postby jcg » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi Richard,

I am in complete agreement about the change in perception toward substance use/abuse, both its benefits and its tolls. During the Sixties, the euphoria and starry-eyed optimism of the counterculture tended to minimize or ignore the very real danger of drug use that had just begun to reer its ugly head. Today, a drug habit seems to impart cultural credibility, ala Amy Winehouse and Lindsey Lohan.

The question of drugs and Cass has always bothered me. By no means do I mean marijuana or LSD, which were au riguer in the late Sixties. I mean heroin and cocaine. Despite the official cause of death of fatty degeneration of the heart, Eddi Fiegel, in her biography, concludes that Cass' death was probably instigated by drug use, revealing, for example, that liquid cocaine had been found in her room, then later vanished. Also, she points out that Cass had been awake non-stop for 30+ hours from her last show at the London Palladium, through Mick Jagger's birthday party, to Sunday evening at the Curzon Place condo, which suggests she may have had some chemical assistance staying awake. Finally, Fiegel points out that the press revealed that the bloodwork done after Cass' death revealed NO trace of alcohol or drugs, a highly-improbable result, given her healthy social life and status as a card-carrying member of the counterculture.

Given the more compassionate awareness and cultural acceptance of addiction in this day and age, I wish the mysteries of Cass' later days would be re-examined. Not for any sensationalistic reason, but because Cass deserves to have her full, true story told. And also, to put a stake in the heart of that infuriating and revolting ham sandwich myth once and for all.

In any case, von Wiedenman's excellent essay throws some light on some of the mysteries and, in the process, humanizes Cass nicely, showing both her vulnerability and strength. She truly was an extraordinary soul.

take care,
jcg
jcg

Postby robtmyer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:50 pm

Yes drugs did play a part in Cass's life. But look a how many in the industry did the same thing. Being a Star is a hard life to live. Having a relationship or marriage is diffacult to maintain at best. She had said before she always wanted to give it up for a normal life. But drugs had a hold on her and that is hard to break. Drugs needed money to hold there grip on her. Pot gives you the munchies that there didn't help her weight loss. everybody around her did drugs to some extent. She was said to want to live a cleaner life. But if everybody is doing it there is no support in your cause. Donald didn't help as he did drugs back then.
robtmyer

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion