Cass & Joni Mitchell

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Cass & Joni Mitchell

Postby roger » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:30 pm

Has anyone read or heard anything about the relationship between Cass and Joni Mitchell? I know at one point in their lives that Joni wrote some of her songs at Cass' home, and of course she was on her first TV special. Were they still friends at the time of Cass's death? I have never read or heard anything mentioned about Joni being at Cass' funeral or any comments that led me to believe that they were still close friends. I did hear that when Cass branched out into more non rock and roll songs that some people thought she had "sold out"...whatever that means!! I hope Joni was not one of those?
Just curious....have always wondered about that.

Thanks,
Roger
roger

Re: Cass & Joni Mitchell

Postby jcg » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi Roger,

Here's a thread from this forum from five years back that may throw some light on your question:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=612

Hope that helps,
jcg
jcg

Postby beccabear » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:00 pm

There's a fair bit about Cass and Joni in the 2006 book Laurel Canyon by Michael Walker, but nothing specific to the questions you've asked. There's less in Graham Nash's recent autobiography about Cass than I had hoped, though he speaks very warmly of her of course and it was a great read otherwise.
beccabear

Postby Nicole » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:57 am

Hi beccabear.
I agree, Grham Nash's book is great read. He speaks very highly of Cass. He even mentions her in the aknowledgements section of the book.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Gregory24 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:08 pm

I had hoped for more on Cass Elliot in Graham's book as well (maybe in the paperback version?). Recently, in regard to Joni and Cass, I read an interview where Joni stated that when she and Graham broke up (according to her, because he was spending too much time with David Crosby), their mutual friends sided for the most part with Graham and stuck with him. I am not saying this is what happened w/ Joni and Cass, but it might be a possibility.
Gregory24

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion