Big Three Recordings

Forum section for discussing the happenings during 1962-1964.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: Big Three Recordings

Postby Rbcsoup » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:22 pm

Yes, among other songs. Actually, I think he said one time that "Melancholy Baby" was the first thing he heard her singing. This was when he and The Halfax III were at The Dugout (no longer standing) and Cass and The Big 3 were down the street at The Bitter End.
Rbcsoup

Postby Richard » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:54 am

I had two terrific cd's in the post this weekend. Denny's Waiting for a song (with Cass and Michelle on backing vocals), and The Big 3 cd. This has 21 great tracks. Well worth the £2 I paid! Already by 1963, Cass's voice is powerful and distinctive. Amazing she had to wait a few more years before stardom beckoned. Come away Melinda is fast becoming a favourtie of mine on this cd. I also love Grandather's clock and the similarly uptempo Banjo song. I think Dutch group Shocking blue had listened to these tracks a few times before composing Venus! The similarity is startling. Cass sounds very sweet on the ballads All the pretty little horses and Winken Blinken and Nod, and by contrast she sounds wild and gin-soaked on Wild women. Great cd. Rich.
Richard

Postby CassFanForLife » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:06 pm

Hi, well, I guess I'll add my 2 cents worth to this.....
I have a Big 3 Cd at home, can't recall off hand how many tracks...maybe 10 ? Anyhow, my fave songs from the CD are :

Wild Women
Nora's Dove ? ( it has the word "Dove" in the title)
Walk/Come Away Melinda
Ringo

And another song that I just can't think of the title at the moment....arrghh ?!
CassFanForLife

Postby Frankie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:49 am

On the California Dreamin' DVD there's a brief performance by
Big Three. Cass is really belting it out fantastically. The lyrics go something like this:
"Well I got a man, and he's long & tall. And he's got a body like a cannon ball..."
Does anyone know the name of this song ?
Frankie
Frankie

Postby oldschooljamz87 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi Frankie,
The title of the song is "Nora's Dove".
oldschooljamz87

Postby Frankie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Thank you !!!! :D
Frankie
Frankie

Postby Frankie » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Today in the mail an LP by Big Three arrived & I'm really enjoying it ! Cass is either belting or crooning and I love it !
Happy 2012 to all
Frankie :shock:
Frankie
Frankie

Postby KimL » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:17 am

The Big Three made an appearance on Guest Star in, oh, 63 maybe? I'm sure there's info on that here on the site, but don't know the exact date off the top of my head. They sang three songs, "I May be Right", "Banjo Song" and "Winkin', Blinkin' and Nod." I've been searching through boxes to relocate my old cassette, kindly sent to me years and years ago by a fellow fan in the UK, but no dice thus far. Anyway, it's a real treat.

Kim
----------
"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
~Marcel Proust
KimL

Postby Nicole » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:17 am

Hi Kim,
It's nice to hear from you. :D It's been awhile.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Rbcsoup » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:11 am

The air date for "Guest Star" was May 13, 1964. The group also appeared on Oscar Brand's World of Folk Music radio show during the Spring of 1964 on which they sang "The Banjo Song" and "Winkin Blinkin Nod." Both programs may have been recorded earlier---but The Big 3 were still together through early 1964.

It would be great to have these live performances as well as the live version of "Come Along' that is on the FM Compilation "World of Folk Music" in addition to the group's radio commercials and the tracks of their extant television appearances added to a re-release of their albums.

Of course, how we wish that the group's performances of "Oh Holy Night" and "The Far Side of the Hill" from The Tonight Show still existed too!!

The Big 3 has received some mentions in the past few weeks with respect to Neil Young's new album and the performance of The Banjo Song that occurs therein.

Richard
Rbcsoup

PreviousNext

Return to The Triumvirate, The Big 3, The Mugwumps (1962-1964)