[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Here's the very beginning of my research into concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups.

I have a lot more info than this, but it all has to be sorted still, so I've just been occasionally filling in dates when I run across them. Not much here yet, so feel free to fill in any info you have!

1966------------

July 01 - The M&P's - Dallas Memorial Auditorium, Dallas, TX
Known opening acts: Bryan Hyland
Known songs performed: I Saw Her Again
Other info: First show with Jill. Rescheduled from June 18.

July XX - The M&P's - Forest Hills, NY
Other info: With Jill

July XX - The M&P's - Denver, CO

July XX - The M&P's - Phoenix AR

July XX - The M&P's - San Francisco, CA

September 02 - The M&P's - Carousel Theatre, West Covina, CA

September 03 - The M&P's - Carousel Theatre, West Covina, CA

1967------------

January 13 - The M&P's - Berkeley Community Theater, Berkeley, CA
Known opening acts: The Grateful Dead
Other info: The Grateful Dead were brought in as a last-minute replacement for
scheduled opener Jose Feliciano.

June 18 - The M&P's - The Monterey International Pop Music Festival, Monterey, CA
Setlist: Straight Shooter; Spanish Harlem; Somebody Groovy; Got a Feelin';
California Dreamin'; I Call Your Name; Monday, Monday; San Francisco
(with Scott on vocals); Dancing In the Street

1969------------

October 15 - John - The Troubadour, Los Angeles, CA
Other info: Part of John's short Wolfking promotional tour. Footage from this
tour was apparently recorded during filming for John and Michael Sarne's
'Byron and Shelley' project.

1983------------

April 15 - The New M&P's - The Palomino Club, North Hollywood, CA
Michelle attended the show and may have sang with the group.
Ars_Nova_Chris

Re: Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Postby Rbcsoup » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:55 am

This is a great endeavor. I have a ticket from Carnegie Hall--October or November 1966--I will check. Think the 2nd Hollywood Bowl concert was on August 18, 1967. Think the first one was March or April 1966
Rbcsoup

Postby Sandy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:08 pm

I have the newspaper ad for the Carnegie Hall show on the wall by my desk. The date was Friday, November 11, 1966.

The next night, Saturday, November 12, 1966, the group played SMU Moody Coliseum in University Park (Dallas), TX. I know they opened the show with "Words Of Love".

Regarding the July 1, 1966 show: I don't know if that was Jill's first show or not. I'm pretty sure the group played one show before that one - either on June 29th or 30th.

The playlist from July 1, 1966 was all the first album (except for "In Crowd", "Hey Girl", and "You Baby"), plus "I Saw Her Again" and "Dancing In the Street".

Sandy

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:57 pm

Were you at these shows? :shock:
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby ignasi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:15 am

In her bio Michelle said that before they did the last Ed Sullivan Show and left for England, they did a concert in Carnegie Hall. (chapter 7, page 147).
In Go Where You Wanna Go (Matthew Greenwald), on page 223 Michelle again said the same: "we got to New York, and we played Carnegie Hall, and then we performed 12:30 on the Sullivan show, and now we were going to go to England on board the France."

Does anybody know? It's that true or Michelle is confused?
If that's true they did 2 Carnegie Hall concerts, and the last Mamas & Papas gig it could be that Carnegie Hall date and not the Hollywood Bowl on august 1967.
Maybe Michelle is confused. I can't remember but somewhere else I read that they did a Carnegie Hall concert in july 1967, not in september as Michelle says. (so if what I read it's true, the last Mamas & Papas concert was Hollywood Bowl august 1967 as everybody says).
ignasi

Postby ignasi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:30 am

I find it!
In Dream a little dream of me: the life of Mama Cass Elliot, page 236, : " After Monterey there were still more gigs booked for the summer, the first of which had been arranged for 13 july at NY's famous Carnegie Hall......' When she (Cass) sat on the apron of the stage to sing I Call Your Name', reported Esquire, 'the house went wild. You would have thought Judy Garland had just told them a love secret' ".
ignasi

Postby Sandy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:56 am

Sandy

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:02 pm

Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:17 pm

Regarding these shows:

The June 04 show was the one with the 'Gene Clark in a red a red shirt incident,' after which, Michelle was unofficially fired from the group...

So, they played the 8:30 show on Friday, the 3rd. I assume they played both the 6:30 and 9:30 shows on Saturday, the 4th, if Michelle was headed out to her car to leave when John chased her out into the parking lot and told her she was fired? So, most likely, the 9:30 show is the one that Gene Clark attended...

So, both shows scheduled for Sunday, the 5th (3:00 and 8:00) were canceled then? Or did they still play them?
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Sandy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:11 am

Sandy

Next

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)