Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:40 am

Thanks for the info, Rob, this helped a ton!

Could you please provide a link to the exact article?
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Nicole » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:40 am

Hi Rob,
Thanks for responding to my post and thanks for the info.
Take care,
Nicole
Nicole

Postby Sportguynj1 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:12 am

You're welcome!

Chris - I did a search on Google for "Concert dates for the Mamas and Papas - 1966-67". The 8 dates from October, 1966 were part of an article in Billboard on Page 52. If you type in "The Mamas and the Papas 8-city tour began in Boston (14)" it will come up and you'll see the dates/cities I mentioned. I'm glad this helped.

Also, if you look at the timeline in the liner notes of the 4 cd Box set it lists their first concert at the Hollywood Bowl on April 30, 1966 and their last appearance there on August 18, 1967.

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby Sportguynj1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:24 pm

One more thing - I have it on authority from Rob Hudson, Associate Archivist for Carnegie Hall that the Mamas and the Papas only performed ONCE at Carnegie Hall and that was on Friday, November 11, 1966. Eddi Fiegel's statement that the group performed there on July 23, 1967 is incorrect.

Mr. Hudson asserts that - and I know this to be a fact since I've gone to concerts at Carnegie Hall - the venue is "dark" during July and August in order to provide repairs, renovation and necessary upgrades to the building. I have his e-mail stating this fact for confirmation. I also asked him to check his records for September 1967 as Michelle thought they performed there while they were in NYC for their final performance on the Ed Sullivan Show but there is no record of the group performing there either.

I would double check any of the listed concerts from June 18, 1967 (their performance at the Monterey Pop Festival) to their final live performance at the Hollywood Bowl on August 18, 1967 because it was my understanding that after their dismal performance at Monterey they didn't perform any more live shows other than their final appearance at the Hollywood Bowl.

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby John Sands » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:52 am

Yes, but was that last 'Hollywood Bowl' show their last at that venue or their last period?
John Sands

Postby Sportguynj1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:33 am

The group's performance at the Hollywood Bowl on Friday, August 18, 1967 was their last live concert together as the original group. They had planned it as their last live performance in LA because the Hollywood Bowl is where they performed their very first concert on April 30, 1966 as the opening act for Sonny and Cher.

However, they did intend to perform at the Royal Albert Hall - and possibly the Olympia in Paris also - which was part of the reason they were sailing to Europe in the fall - both to work and try to recapture that spark which they initially had 2 years before. Unfortunately, with Cass's arrest and then her fight with John after he insulted her in front of Mick Jagger at a party, Cass left and the remaining concerts had to be cancelled.

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby John Sands » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:26 am

that's what II thought but I also remember someone writing that that show was part of a tour. Thanks a lot.
John Sands

Postby Sportguynj1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:31 am

From what I read, the group was already starting to fall apart and was running out of steam at this point following the Monterey Pop Festival in the summer of 1967. With the exception of "Twelve Thirty", they had run out of new material and John wasn't inspired to write anything else, Michelle was pregnant, Cass was a new mother and by now had already distanced herself from the group and wanted a solo career. The Hollywood Bowl show on August 18 was planned as their final LA concert and they wanted to go out on top at the same venue where they played their first concert the year before. Although someone said they played a few dates between Monterey and the Hollywood Bowl, I seriously doubt it.

In September, 1967 they called a meeting and decided that they were temporarily breaking up. They announced on their last appearance on Ed Sullivan on September 24th that they were going to travel to Europe and try to re-energize themselves. Although they did travel to England in October, 1967 and planned a concert at the Royal Albert Hall - which we all know was eventually cancelled - they had given up touring earlier in the year before Cass had her baby. John and Cass had a fight while they were in England and she quit the group which forced the cancellation of the Royal Albert Hall concert. They returned to LA, finished the 4th album and officially broke up the following summer.
Sportguynj1

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Not sure what to make of this...

Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby ignasi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:34 am

I think I read something like that in a KRLA Beat number, but....I don't know, because as Michelle said, they were famous for cancelling a lot of concerts.
I never read in any bio that they performed in England.
ignasi

PreviousNext

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)