Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 am

Hmm... I have the Paladium way back in Feb '67, long before the Cass legal trouble in England thing. Gonna have to double check my source on that one...
User avatar
Ars_Nova_Chris
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Postby Christopher60s » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:47 am

I also remember, Chris had send me the ad of M&Ps concert, that was together with Joey Paige. I have no idea was it in 1966 or 1967, but the date on ad says it was on April 6-10. Does anybody knows any information about that?
Christopher.
Christopher60s
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:25 am
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania, Europe.

Re: Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Postby Midnight Voyager » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:47 am

Ars_Nova_Chris wrote:They were on 'Action' three times:


1966-03-10 - Where The Action Is (ABC)
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Monday, Monday”
“California Dreamin’"


1966-04-07 - Where The Action Is (ABC)
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“California Dreamin’"
“I Call Your Name”


1966-04-29 - Where The Action Is (ABC)
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Monday, Monday”
“Got A Feelin’”


I'll be posting the rest of these on youtube soon... :mrgreen:


Were these just lip-syched performances?
Midnight Voyager
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:41 am

Re: Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Postby Midnight Voyager » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:22 pm

I just want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I've always been fascinated by their live shows, probably because, sadly, there is little to none cohesive documentation of them -- the only exception being Monterey Pop.

Compared to today's tour standards, their show schedules were very loose and sporadic. Granted, the industry is much different now. But even during their era, I think their approach to touring was an unusual luxury. I understand that previous to their mass success, as struggling folk artists, they spent many years enduring grueling tour schedules. It's easy to see why they didn't have the yearning hit the road hard core -- their records were selling; they didn't have to work as hard. Is it fair to guess that what was considered a full show lasted an hour at best?

Looks like they did about 30 or so shows. You'd hope that at least a few were recorded by someone....somewhere??!! If the technology of today existed then, every show would have been bootlegged and up on utube!
Midnight Voyager
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:41 am

Re: Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Postby Tri.Moon » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:04 am

Midnight Voyager wrote:Looks like they did about 30 or so shows. You'd hope that at least a few were recorded by someone....somewhere??!! If the technology of today existed then, every show would have been bootlegged and up on utube!


Yeah, I hope so too but it might that if the technology of today would had existed, the Mamas and Papas maybe never would had played music like that or maybe never existed.
User avatar
Tri.Moon
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:52 am

Re: Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Postby Midnight Voyager » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:15 pm

Tri.Moon wrote:
Midnight Voyager wrote:Looks like they did about 30 or so shows. You'd hope that at least a few were recorded by someone....somewhere??!! If the technology of today existed then, every show would have been bootlegged and up on utube!


Yeah, I hope so too but it might that if the technology of today would had existed, the Mamas and Papas maybe never would had played music like that or maybe never existed.


Overall, I was commenting not about the culture/style of the time, but more about the utter lack of documentation of their live shows. Yet, with other bands/aritists of their time, such as Jimi Hendrix, the Byrds etc... many live recordings exist. It's rather perplexing!
Midnight Voyager
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:41 am

Re: Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Postby John Sands » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:20 am

weren't a number of their early shows on bills shared with other groups, so each grop did a few hits as opposed to a full concert? Michelle once said that they had shared a bill with 'Dino, Desi and Billy'. I wander what Desi Arnaz Jr. has to say about that memory.

Long ago I was reading an interview with the late Dino Martin in a teen magazine and the interviewer asked him what he would take to a deserted island and his answer was 'Michelle from the Mamas and the Papas'. Cool, right?
John Sands
 
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Postby Nicole » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:50 am

Hi John,
Yes, definitley cool!
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
User avatar
Nicole
 
Posts: 1164
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:36 am

Re: Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Postby Drawer L » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Midnight Voyager wrote:
Ars_Nova_Chris wrote:They were on 'Action' three times:


1966-03-10 - Where The Action Is (ABC)
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Monday, Monday”
“California Dreamin’"


1966-04-07 - Where The Action Is (ABC)
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“California Dreamin’"
“I Call Your Name”


1966-04-29 - Where The Action Is (ABC)
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Monday, Monday”
“Got A Feelin’”


I'll be posting the rest of these on youtube soon... :mrgreen:


Were these just lip-syched performances?
Yes.EVERYTHING on WTAI was lip-syched.
---Denis
Drawer L
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:21 pm
Location: Long Island,NY

Re: Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Postby Rbcsoup » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:33 am

Just found in my stuff--October 21, 1966 Fordham University
Rbcsoup
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:40 am
Location: Virginia

PreviousNext

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron