[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Best LIVE version of M & P song they ever did ....

Best LIVE version of M & P song they ever did ....

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: Best LIVE version of M & P song they ever did ....

Postby Midnight Voyager » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:15 pm

I always considered "I Call Your Name" (from Monterey) as one of their best rendered live vocal performances. Especially in the end. You can really hear all of their voices blending together - even Michelle!
Midnight Voyager

Postby GlennS » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:12 pm

I totally agree about "I Call Your Name" from Monterey. Cass is stellar, and the harmonies at the end blow everybody away. It occurred to me, listening to that cut, that one of the reasons for the Mamas and Papas's success was that they combined a kind of old-fashioned showbiz appeal (tight harmonies, Cass's red-hot-mama persona, a kind of Broadway professionalism) with rock/roll hipness (the powerful harmonies almost yelled at you, the rock beat, their hippie image, etc.).

I'm curious about the CD of the Ed Sullivan performances. Can you really hear the four of them singing live above the tape on "Creeque Alley"?

-- Glenn
GlennS

Postby dunhill » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:50 pm

dunhill

Postby blinker12 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:04 am

My favorite Monterey performance is "I Call Your Name" - an epic moment for Cass!

You know, when I was on a big Cass bender this past winter, I began a desperate search for live recordings/video footage that led me to this Forum. Given how popular the band and Cass were, I continue to be amazed that so little recorded live material exists. Didn't anyone ever sneak a tape recorder into a Mamas & Papas or Cass solo show? Maybe that wasn't done widely in the late 1960s - maybe portable tape recorders didn't exist yet? But there are many, MANY bootleg recordings of bands like Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles and others less than a decade later. It's truly puzzling.

Does ANYONE out there know of live video or audio footage of the band, or Cass, other than Monterey? (And other than the TV appearances that were done partially live?)
blinker12

Postby Midnight Voyager » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Midnight Voyager

Previous

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)