Michelle on the 2nd Mamas & Papas LP

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Michelle on the 2nd Mamas & Papas LP

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:42 am

I did read somewhere that some of Jill's vocals were kept on the 2nd LP, and that Michelle was only on a couple of tracks. Could anyone shine some light on this? Does anyone know which tracks Michelle sings on. I can hear her on Words of love, Trip stumble and fall and I saw her again. If Jill is on any other tracks her vocals were surprisingly similar to Michelle's. Rich.
Richard

Re: Michelle on the 2nd Mamas & Papas LP

Postby jcg » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi Richard

Welcome to the site.
Here are the answers you seek. It will take some reading, so enjoy:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=230

jcg
jcg

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi, and thanks for the link to the earlier discussion. It sounds like we'll never know the whole story! After digesting everyone's comments and facts, it sounds like Michelle was definitely on I saw her again, Once was a time, Dancing in the street, and My heart stood still. Words of love seems to divide everyone, but it sure sounds like Michelle singing that "no" to me. Seems like I was wrong about Trip, that was clearly Jill if the recording dates are to be believed. It seems as if Jill is on the remaining 7 tracks. I did't realise Even if I could had been re-recorded with Jill for the LP. Why didn't they use the original with Michelle? In fact, I've never heard the B side, as I only have the LPs. Is there a marked difference between the 2 versions? Many thanks, Rich. :)
Richard

Postby Papa J » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Yes, I don't think we'll ever know definitively who sang what, but I don't think Jill sang ten songs. She is probably on more songs than we realize, but in my opinion, Michelle sang on these four songs on the album and maybe more - "My Heart Stood Still," I Saw Her Again," "Once Was a Time I Thought," and "Dancing in the Street." There is a difference between the two versions of "Even if I Could." You can check out the differences on Youtube. The single version has horn parts in place of the girls' background vocals when they are singing phrases like "Now I know how you feel." The single version basically focuses more on John's vocals.
Papa J

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)