Mamas and Papas Christmas Album

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Mamas and Papas Christmas Album

Postby pauliewood » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:09 pm

As a kid back in the late 60's, it was something I always hoped for. Imagine the group harmonizing and belting out "Do You Hear What I Hear" and Cass wailing "Joy to the World". I think about this every year. Maybe next lifetime.
pauliewood

Re: Mamas and Papas Christmas Album

Postby Nicole » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:21 am

Hi pauliewood,
I'vealways thought there should've been a Christmas album, too. Michelle Phillips in interviews, has said she always wanted the group to do a Christmas album, but nothing ever came of it. Imagine their harmonies on classics like Carol of the Bells, Go Tell It on the Mountain, and Do You Hear what I Hear? As you say, perhaps in anothet lifetime.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby CassFanForLife » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Now that would've been one heck of an album...oh yes, i can ceratinly hear the vocals eminating from Cass and Denny and Michelle on the classics, adding their own vocal twists/take on them and perhaps John would of written an origianl Christmas number, you know, just to add some flavour to the mix....In another life indeed...but the thought of .." If only..." had actually came true...That would of been a Christmas album to have for a lifetime keeping ! :D
CassFanForLife

Postby Nicole » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:06 am

Hi Cassfan,
That definitley would've been a classic Christmas album, onw I would play all year round. :lol:
Take care,
Nicole

Postby Sportguynj1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:10 pm

I think that if the group had stayed together a little longer they very well might have recorded a Christmas album that would have certainly become a classic. Michelle has said in several interviews that she was always bringing ideas for songs they could cover - most notably "He's a Rebel" from the Crystals and "Baby I'm a Hog For You" by the Coasters - as well as some ideas for a Christmas album. She always credited John's genius for re-arranging other people's songs and vocal arrangements which often made them even more beautiful than the original - "Dedicated To The One I Love" is a perfect example of that. You would think that recording a Christmas album would have been the next logical step after the beautiful arrangements the group did on the Rodgers and Hart standards like "Sing For Your Supper", "Glad To Be Unhappy", "Here in My Arms" and my personal favorite - "My Heart Stood Still"! Unfortunately, it never happened but I sincerely hope that someday a feature film of the story of the Mamas and the Papas does become a reality!

Cheers,

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby Nicole » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:31 pm

Hi Rob,
Thanks for your post. I hope one day a feature film of the group becomes a reality, too. As Cass sang "I can dream can't I"?
Take care,
Nicole

Postby Lilry1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:37 pm

Bumping this post with new information.... The Cass Elliot facebook page recently posted Cass singing a christmas song on the Julie Andrews show. Rare clip... check it out!
Lilry1

Postby davidasix » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:07 pm

Wow, Cass absolutely shining on "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" so awesome! Julie Andrews Hour December 20, 1972. Classic. I guess it was a different time, and certainly many Jewish artists gave us fantastic Christmas songs and music with their singing, playing, writing, or composing. Irving Berlin's White Christmas is among the most familiar.

Dave
davidasix

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)