Disturbing revelations about John and Mackenzie

Share stories and discussions about John Phillips.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: Disturbing revelations about John and Mackenzie

Postby KimL » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:46 am

Hi All,

Have been silent until now, as I'm still trying to get my head around all this mess...

After watching both Oprah appearances, reading articles, and listening to my heart / gut on this matter, I realize that I, too, believe Mac. Like someone else mentioned, my own personal opinion of John Phillips has definitely suffered over the last several years. I feel that I have no right to judge him, or Mac either for that matter, but am I deeply hurt? Absolutely. What Mac and John chose to do consentually is their business, but to even consider that John would rape his daughter is apalling. But as I already said, who am I to judge here? And does it make me appreciate the man's brilliance as an artist any less? No, certainly not.

I've loved and admired John's music for years, and this doesn't change that. Do many of the actions that I believe he took disgust me? Sure, they absolutely do. But will I continue to love and enjoy the man's music, particularly from the M's and P's years? Yes indeed.

Travis, I agree with you about Jesica's email... that blew me away. Definitely put me over the top, as well. Wow...

Noticed, to my delight, that Mac also mentioned Owen on yesterday's Oprah, as well.

And I do intend to read her book and judge for myself, as Owen suggests.

My thoughts and prayers are with all involved, and with all of you who love John and Mac, and are trying to process all of this.

Kim
----------
"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
~Marcel Proust
KimL

Postby KimL » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:48 pm

That's a definite point, Chris. Thanks for sharing that.

Kim
----------
"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
~Marcel Proust
KimL

Postby davidasix » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Back home now, watched both Oprah episodes. How can I doubt everything? When Bijou and Chynna support Mac, when Owen and Jessica support Mac, it is true. I hope this shocks us all to being brave when suspecting abuse or problems with friends or family. We must give a damn about our fellow (wo)man. Prayers with Mac.

Dave
davidasix

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:08 pm

Where did you see that Bijou did? Everything I read was to the contrary.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedish ... -dont.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/fam ... 555&page=2
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby davidasix » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:17 am

Check out oprah's show, where she read Bijou's very impressive letter in its entirety. It was touching and well-written. You must read the whole thing. Bits of it taken out of context slant the meaning.

You might also catch those pictures of Mac coming out of jail. Her best friend Owen looks to be there for her. Owen's message to us is quite clear to me. Read the book if you really doubt.

Lastly, Jessica Doherty's email to Oprah is very clear. Denny told Jessica the whole story.

Mac said up to 10 people know what happened besides her and John. Put Denny on the list. I think Scott McKenzie and Spanky McFarlane should publicly support Mac if they knew. This is not a time for recriminations, but to bring healing to those affected by this ugly form of abuse.

Dave
davidasix

Postby TRAVISJAMES03 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:50 am

I will read the book when all of the furor has died down a bit and I have heard a bit more from both sides of the proverbial camp.

My 'OPINION' is this:

01. I believe Mac (NO ONE in their right mind is going to admit to having sex with their father willingly for ten years). And as Chynna said, Mac DOES NOT have mental problems (contrary to what Michelle has said). A lot of people think that Mac went about telling her story the wrong way - but what RIGHT WAY is there? And as far as any $$$ she gets from the book, she damned well deserves it! Even if they didn't have incest, the fact that JP INJECTED HIS OWN DAUGHTER WITH DRUGS is MORE than enough for Mac to get compensation.

02. I think that Michelle is completely gobsmacked right now. However....she should reread some of her material in "California Dreamin'" in which she talks about John as a father. Now being a bad father is THOUSANDS of light years away from having sex with your children, BUT she makes it clear that she did NOT trust John alone with Chynna, period (for MANY reasons).

I know that this is going to ruffle some feathers, but I truly believe that (and she might not even realize it) the Mamas & Papas' name and future $$$ plays a part in her denial. I can COMPLETELY understand why she doesn't want her beloved group tainted, however, Mac has EVERY right to tell her story and Michelle (though she has every right to her opinion too) is making things worse by continuing to say that Mac has mental problems. This is just drawing more people who want to stay out of this sordid story in on both sides.

03. The kicker for me was Denny's daughter, Jessica's e-mail. Come on, people. Does everyone who doesn't believe Mac think that there is some HUGE conspiracy involved here?

04. I have listened to the M&P's music since I was five (I am thirty-four now). Does this change my opinion about their music? No! JP WAS a genius in music....but the bottom line is that (especially in his later years) JP was NOT a nice man in MANY aspects and he was NOT liked by a lot of people. He had SEVERE demons and VERY OFTEN an abuser will choose one certain child out of many for whatever reason.

This is a very sad story for EVERYONE, but things like this can no longer be kept in the closet no matter WHO is the abuser OR who is the victim. I think that after all of this has died down, Mac needs some intense therapy because I think that even she does not fully grasp the severity of what happened to her.

As I said, this is JUST MY OPINION.
TRAVISJAMES03

Postby TRAVISJAMES03 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:51 pm

Upon rereading my comments about Michelle, I must say this - no matter how much that she and John fought, etc. (and there were times that they truly hated each other), I truly believe that she loved him (probably) more than any man in her life and thus I CAN see how she could be in denial.

But Michelle has to remember this - no matter how well we THINK we know someone, do were REALLY? Add EXTREMELY hard drugs and drink to the mix and you have time bomb waiting to go off.

Also, Mac REALLY needs to apologize and reach out to Bijou (sp?). I mean, if I were her I WOULD be devestated to think that my family would leave me alone with a person capable (for whatever reason) of what Mac says he did to her. I am sure that Mac could kick herself in retrospect, but she HAS to take that responsibilty for leaving her with John (as to perhaps some others that knew what was really going on too).

There is going to be years and years of healing for this family and I TRULY wish them the best because they have added SO MUCH joy to mine through their various venues and talents.

Man, I wish Cass were still alive - she would be puttin' EVERYONE in their place, I believe! I wouldn't want to tangle with her!
TRAVISJAMES03

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:15 pm

I think that humans in general have a bad habit of "deciding" something, and closing their mind off to other possibilities. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this "habit" might be held culpable for most of humanity's problems...
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby GlennS » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:44 pm

I didn't watch either of the Oprah shows, but as a M and P's fan I really wish that Mackenzie had told her family but refrained from announcing the whole thing publicly. Adult "consensual" participants in incest probably don't need help from celebrity revelations (unlike, say, a pre-adult child abused by a parent), but all of us M and Ps fans will now have to deal with the legacy of our beloved group tarnished by this ugly image. She might have "helped" a few adult incest participants, but she really crushed a whole lot of people who loved the M and Ps.

Of course, music and art are created by all kinds of flawed people with demons and this shouldn't affect our appreciation of it -- but it often does. Especially such uplifting and positive music as the M and Ps made.

my first reactions, anyway. maybe a bit selfish, but there it is.
GlennS

PreviousNext

Return to John Phillips