Anna Petrovic, You Rock

Share stories and discussions about Michelle Phillips.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Anna Petrovic, You Rock

Postby jimsatx » Thu May 28, 2009 4:30 pm

Sigh....I remember long ago reading about this movie, which unfortunately never got made. I'd never seen this entire article before though, and it makes it look like there would have been a whole new soundtrack full of Mama Michelle tunes. Too bad it never happened!

MOVIE 'MUSCLE': Producer Jimmy Johnson, who has laid down tracks with the likes of Percy Sledge, Aretha Franklin, and the Rolling Stones at his legendary Alabama recording facility Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section and Sound Studio,
is tackling the new role of music supervisor for the indie film "Anna Petrovic, You Rock." The AllFilm comedy, which stars Michelle Phillips as a mom who fulfills her lifelong dream of becoming a singer when she joins a rock band, begins principle photography in August in St. Louis.
Johnson got involved with the movie through director Tom McDonough, an old friend with whom Johnson produced music videos in the '70s, and he dove right in, suggesting not only music but also a new direction for the script. "When I first got involved, the screenplay was not quite there," he says. "I said if I could be involved in helping to pick the music and stay involved down to the final mix of the dialogue for the movie, then it was a good project for me." Johnson says that due to budget constraints, Phillips and co-star Peter Stuart, singer/guitarist of Columbia Records group dog's eye view, will recut the late-'60s and '70s pop songs he is eyeing for the film rather than license them. "I can make them sound just like they did then; I can give the music integrity," he says. The film also will feature original material, for which Johnson is accepting solicitations. Recording will take place at Muscle Shoals and possibly in Nashville, and Johnson plans to do the overdubbing at a mixing suite he is building at home.
With lots of work ahead of him both in the studio and in terms of helping to cement a label deal for the soundtrack, Johnson says he is excited about his new challenge.
jimsatx

Re: Anna Petrovic, You Rock

Postby Nicole » Fri May 29, 2009 6:37 am

Hi Jim,
Thanks for posting this article! How old is it? It is too bad it never got made.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Return to Michelle Phillips