[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - M&P's TV appearances

M&P's TV appearances

Upcoming or recent Cass on TV sightings.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: M&P's TV appearances

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:04 pm

Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:13 pm

Me and Gary B. have been discussing the picture of Jill with the group that appears to be on the Hollywood Palace set. No definitive answers yet, but I'll post the conversation to this point...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Foote at 10:05pm July 6
Nobody seems to be able to figure out where this picture is from. Do you have any info?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/ ... 124b_1.jpg

Gary Belich at 10:22pm July 6
The FIRST thing that popped in my head on that picture was Hollywood Palace. Looks like the lights in the background. Maybe it was a photo from rehearsal? Looks like Jill, not Michelle.

Chris Foote at 10:33pm July 6
Yeah, that's Jill in that picture, which is why it is so confusing. Richard Campbell posted a list of all the M&P's tv appearances over on his forum, and none included Jill. And yes, it does appear to be the Hollywood Palace set. I guess I'll ask Jill and see if she remembers...

Chris Foote at 11:33pm July 6
Hmm, asked Jill about it, and this was her response...

"Chris, I have seen this photo before but I, too, don't have any memory about where it was taken. Thanks for sending it to me and now I can file it away.

Jill"...

No one else in the picture is alive, not sure where to turn for info on this one...

Gary Belich at 3:13pm July 7
Hi Chris, I asked an expert collector on the Hollywood Palace Show and he said this:

Gary, yes, this is a photo from The Hollywood Palace. And maybe it is a rehearsal photo. But it's definitely from the Palace.

Chris Foote at 3:43pm July 7
Do you have any info on how rehearsals were done on HP? Like, how far in advance of a performance? I assume they were filmed, and not just photographed? Might footage still exist?

Gary Belich at 3:48pm July 7
I don't think too many rehearsals were actually filmed. I think they were just for lighting purposes and setting up camera shots and all. I know a couple Sullivan rehearsal performances were filmed.....Hermits, Stones, Animals, and even a Beatles show, but for the most part they were just photographed. Rehearsals were usually a day in advance and in some cases even the same day as the "air" performance.

Chris Foote at 3:59pm July 7
It seems odd then, if rehearsals were only the day before or day of, that the episode itself wouldn't have been filmed, don't you think?

Gary Belich at 5:01pm July 7
It may have been taped, but erased over after the show to be aired was actually taped. Like I said, a few Sullivan rehearsal shows have survived but I think for the most part that they were used just for angles and lighting and then the rehearsal performances were discarded.
I know that Dick Clark did two shows of his Saturday Beech Nut shows in... Read More the late 50s and early 60s. The first was an afternoon rehearsal show with one audience and then the later show was filmed/taped for air with a different audience. The rehearsal shows were not filmed by Clark, though. He just wanted more "kids" to have a chance to see their idols so had the rehearsals opened up for fans.

Chris Foote at 5:41pm July 7
No, I mean, it seems odd that the actual episode itself (not the rehearsal) would not have been filmed or aired, if they indeed had a rehearsal for it.

As far as I can tell however, this is the case, as no one seems to have ever seen it, there are no listings for it anywhere that I can find, and Jill doesn't even remember it happening.

Perhaps the episode WAS filmed, but shortly before they decided to let Michelle back in the group, and hadn't yet aired by the time they decided that, and so had it pulled before it aired? Do you know generally how long it was between an episode being filmed and actually airing? This seems like the most likely scenario....

And then perhaps they re-filmed the episode with Michelle, which then aired on September 17, 1966, which was just shortly after Michelle got back in the group (August 23, 1966)? This Hollywood Palace episode does in fact feature Michelle lip-syncing to Jill's vocal on Dancing Bear...
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Alby » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:37 am

Alby

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Alright, here's my current list...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

*1962-12-XX - The One O' Clock Show
The Triumvirate

*1963-04-13 - Hootenanny (ABC) Ep 2 Brown University
The Journeymen
Songs:
"500 Miles"
"I May Be Right"

*1963-07-02 - Talent Scouts
The Big 3
Song:
"Nora's Dove"

*1963-09-12 - The Tonight Show (NBC)
The Big 3

[Additional info: The Big 3 appeared a total of nine times on the show, other dates unknown]

*1963-10-26 - Hootenanny (ABC) Ep 19 Boston University
The Big 3
Songs:
"Come Along"
"Rider"

*1963-11-09 - Hootenanny (ABC) Ep 21 Southern Methodist University
The Journeymen
Songs:
"Hooteanny Saturday Night" (w/ The Wanderers Three)
"Stackolee"
"Cryderville Jail" (as part of the Southwestern Medley)
"Someone to Talk My Troubles To"
"Kumbaya" (finale featuring all guests, Journeymen sing one verse alone)

*1963-11-16 - Hootenanny (ABC) Ep 22 Fordham University
The Big 3
Song:
"Nora's Dove"

*1963-12-04 - The Danny Kaye Show (CBS)
The Big 3
Song:
"Rider"

*1964-01-29 - The Danny Kaye Show (CBS) Ep No.21
The Journeymen
Song:
unknown Armstrong Tile Commercial

*1964-02-12 - The Danny Kaye Show (CBS) Ep No.22
The Journeymen
Song:

*1964-02-19 - The Danny Kaye Show (CBS) Ep No.23
The Journeymen
Song:

*1964-02-26 - The Danny Kaye Show (CBS) Ep No.24
The Journeymen
Song:

*1964-04-22 - The Danny Kaye Show (CBS) Ep No.31
The Journeymen
Song:

*1964-04-29 - The Danny Kaye Show (CBS) Ep No.32
The Journeymen
Song:

*1964-12-09 - The Danny Kaye Show (CBS) Ep No.47
The Journeymen
Song:

*1965-12-11 - Shindig! (ABC) Filmed at ABC Studios, Hollywood, CA
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“I Call Your Name" (live acoustic)
“Somebody Groovy” (live vocals over backing track)
“California Dreamin’” (lipsync)
“Yesterday” (backing Barry, live vocals over backing track)
“Do You Believe In Magic” (backing Barry, live vocals over backing track)
“You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away” (backing Barry, live vocals over backing track)
"This Precious Time" (backing Barry, live vocals over backing track)
“Hang On Sloopy” (backing Barry, live vocals over backing track)

[Additional info: Dunhill's 'The Grass Roots' are supposed to be the backing band here,
however it's hard to tell if there are any live instruments (other than John's acoustic in
"I Call Your Name") present in the show upon quick examination. I did notice a few
instrumental parts that, if mimed, were done so with uncanny accuracy. Notes on songs
currently listed are from Richard Campbell, will examine the film more closely soon.]

*1965-12-25 - Shivaree (ABC) Filmed at KABC Studios, Hollywood, CA
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Somebody Groovy” (lipsync, runs over the end credits)

*1966-01-29 - Hollywood Palace (ABC) Filmed at The Hollywood Palace, Hollywood, CA
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Be My Valentine” (live vocal, singing backup to Arthur Godfrey)

[Additional info: Repeated on 07/30/66]

*1966-02-19 - American Bandstand (ABC) Filmed at ABC Studios, Hollywood, CA
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“California Dreamin’"

*1966-03-10 - Where The Action Is (ABC) Filmed at ABC Studios, San Diego, CA
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Monday, Monday”
“California Dreamin’"

[Additional info: Filmed not in a studio, but at a waterside location, on a dock and a boat]

*1966-03-14 - Hullabaloo (NBC) Filmed at NBC Studios, Brooklyn, NY
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“California Dreamin’,”
“Nowhere Man” (part of a current hit medley featuring all of that episodes' guests)

[Additional info: The M&P's vocals can be heard in places throughout the
medley, including the refrains in "Homeward Bound", and parts of "Daydream",
most noticeably there a complete verse they sing alone. Repeated 08/08/66]

*1966-03 - The Lloyd Thaxton Show (KCOP) Filmed at KCOP-TV Studios, Hollywood, CA
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Monday, Monday”
“California Dreamin’"

*1966-04-07 - Where The Action Is (ABC) Filmed at ABC Studios, San Diego, CA
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“I Call Your Name”
“California Dreamin’"

*1966-04-09 - Hollywood Palace (ABC) Filmed at The Hollywood Palace, Hollywood, CA
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Monday, Monday"

*1966-04-29 - Where The Action Is (ABC) Filmed at ABC Studios, San Diego, CA
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Monday, Monday”
“Got A Feelin’”

*1966-08-18 - Top of the Pops
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
"I Saw Her Again" (promotional video shown)

*1966-09-08 - Top of the Pops
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
"I Saw Her Again" (promotional video shown)

*1966-09-17 - Hollywood Palace (ABC) Filmed at The Hollywood Palace, Hollywood, CA
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Dancing Bear”
“Dancing In The Street”

*1966-12-11 - The Ed Sullivan Show (CBS) Filmed at CBS Studios, New York, NY
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Monday, Monday”
“California Dreamin’”
“Words Of Love”

*1967-02-24 - The Songmakers (ABC) Filmed at Western Recorders, Studio 3, Hollywood, CA
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Boys & Girls Together” (studio recording session from 12/01/66).

*1967-03-02 - Rodgers And Hart Today (ABC) Filmed at ABC Studios, Hollywood, CA
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“My Heart Stood Still”
“Glad To Be Unhappy”
“Here In My Arms”
“Sing For Your Supper.”

[Additional info: One in this series of entertainment specials presented under
the umbrella of "ABC Stage 67." This program is a tribute to the music of
Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart, and also features performances by Bobby
Darin, the Supremes, the Doodletown Pipers, Petula Clark, Count Basie and
his Orchestra, and dancer Peter Gennaro. Repeated 05/11/67]

*1967-04-27 - Top of the Pops
The Mamas & The Papas
Song:
"Dedicated to the One I Love (promotional video shown)

[Additional info: No idea what this promo is...]

*1967-06-11 - The Ed Sullivan Show (CBS) Filmed at CBS Studios, New York, NY
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Creeque Alley”
“Dedicated To The One I Love”

*1967-09-24 - The Ed Sullivan Show (CBS) Filmed at CBS Studios, New York, NY
The Mamas & The Papas
Songs:
“Twelve Thirty (Young Girls Are Coming To The Canyon)”
Medley: “California Dreamin'”; “I Call Your Name”; “Monday, Monday”

[Additional info: Repeated 07/14/68]

*1967-12-17 - The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour (CBS)
Cass Elliot

*1968-04-21 - Youth 68: Everything’s Changing...Or Maybe It Isn’t (NBC)
The Mamas & The Papas

[Additional info: Part of NBC's Experiments In Television series,
Youth 68 is a "kaleidoscopic view of the younger generation and
its view on rebellion, love, religion, education, the future and
other subjects." Members of Jefferson Airplane, the Mamas and
the Papas, Vanilla Fudge, and Happy Apples were interviewed.]

*1968-04-24 - The Andy Williams Show (NBC)
Cass Elliot

*1968-09-09 - The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour (CBS)
Cass Elliot

*1969-06-26 - The Mamas Cass Television Program (ABC)
Cass Elliot

*1969-11-01 - Hollywood Palace (ABC)
Cass Elliot

*1970-06-24 - The David Frost Show (CBS)
John Phillips

*1970-08-18 - The Dick Cavett Show
John Phillips

*1970-08-27 - The David Frost Show (CBS)
John Phillips

*1970-08-27 - The Tonight Show (NBC)
John Phillips and Cass Elliot

*1978-06-01 - Denny's Sho* (CBC) - Debut. The series gets off to a roaring opener as it's the first public reunion of the Mamas and the Papas (minus, of course, the late Mama Cass Elliott). Present, with Denny, are John and Michelle Phillips. Highlights: "Monday, Monday," "California Dreamin'," "Creeque Alley," "Dancing Bear," "One Morning in May" (Denny, Michelle, John); "Victim of Romance" (Michelle); "Zulu" (John); "You Can't Tell a Book by Its Cover" (Denny).

*1978-06-08 - Denny's Sho* - Denny's guests are singer Ranee Lee and vibraphonist Warren Chiasson. Songs include "Just a Little Bit," "Home Again," "As Time Goes By" (Denny); "Don't Leave Me This Way," "Am I Blue" (Ranee); "September Song" (Warren); "Rainbow in Your Eyes" (Denny, Ranee).

*1978-06-22 - Denny's Sho* - Murray McLauchlan sings "Well, Well, Well" and "On the Boulevard," and joins Denny on "Jug Band Music." Denny sings "Fundy Bay" and a medley of hits by the Mamas & the Papas.

*1978-07-06 - Denny's Sho* - Salome Bey sings "Too Shy to Say" and "Have I Thanked You?"; Ken Tobias sings "New York City"; and Denny does "Watcha Gonna Do?" "Children of My Mind," and joins Salome and Ken for "We All Pull the Load."

*1978-07-13 - Denny's Sho* - The singing duo Original Caste joins Denny Doherty to perform "I Can't Hold On," "Lovin' You" and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?" Also: Original Caste does "Stealin'."

*1978-07-20 - Denny's Sho* - Singers Marie-Paule Martin and Ron MacEachern join Denny Doherty. Songs-. "Gone at Last," "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" (Denny); "Du vieux soleil" (Marie-Paule); "She's a Lady" (Marie-Paule, Denny); "Go Otf on Your Way," "Driver Mclvor" (Ron).

*1978-08-17 - Denny's Sho* - Denny Doherty's guests are singers Tom Gallant and Jamie Snyder. Highlights: "Unlikely Homecoming" (Tom); "Soldier's Joy" (Jamie); "After Midnight," "I Got a Feelin'" (Denny).

*1978-08-24 - Denny's Sho* - Singer Nancy Dolman and flutist Moe Koffman are the guests.

*1978-08-31 - Denny's Sho* - John Phillips and Michelle Phillips are guests.

*1978-09-07 - Denny's Sho* - Final episode. Former Lovin' Spoonful members John Sebastian and Zal Yanovsky are Denny's guests. Songs include "Daydream," "Did You Ever Have to Make Up Your Mind?" (John, Zal); "Blues in the Bottle," "Do You Believe in Magic?" "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back" (John, Zal, Denny).

*1982-03-01 - Good Morning America (ABC) - The introduction of the New Mamas and the Papas.

*1986-06-26 - Late Night with David Letterman - John Phillips guests

*1990-09-29 - The Howard Stern Show - John Phillips guests
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Alby » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:10 am

Hi Chris,
interesting list. I'd like to add that I once read at tv.com that the group sang "12:30" on American Bandstand in August of '67, but that info is not on that website anymore, anyone has any info about that?

Thanks,

Albert.
Alby

Postby John Sands » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:38 am

I don't remember John and Cass on the Tonight Show but John and Michelle were on around the time of 'Papas and the Mamas'. They were on with Peter Lawford whom Michelle bummed a ciggie off of.

So, John and Michelle were on Denny's show twice or the second listing is a repeat of the first?

Thanks
John Sands

Postby John Sands » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:03 am

Isn't 'Top of the Pops' the British title of the Sullivan show? Don't recall them doing 'I Saw Her Again' on that show, or come to think of it, on any show for that matter!!

ps, can someone find me a copy of the 'Lhoyd Thaxton' show?
John Sands

Postby Drawer L » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:25 pm

---Denis
Drawer L

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:16 pm

Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby John Sands » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:15 am

It is accurate. I actually saw it when it was on.
John Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Cass TV Sightings