The Road: FANTASTIC Quality!

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

The Road: FANTASTIC Quality!

Postby Tim » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:59 pm

For years we've all bantered back-and-forth about WHEN or IF The Road .. would be released on CD. My heart sank after reading some of the posts that it just wasn't going to happen because the original mix was bad, etc. etc. etc.

Well, IT HAPPENED!

And the quality of the mix is SUPERB! For 35 years I have listened to this record (that nasty Dynaflex) and been both sad and annoyed at how poor the sound quality was. Cass's voice was getting drowned out by the instruments, and everything sounded fuzzy. Shame on RCA for letting it out the door before it was ready, but thanks to RCA for preserving the master tapes.

For the first time in 35 years I was able to enjoy the entire album and hear it clearly; hear Cass's voice clearly. No static; no fuzz.

:D
If you haven't ordered yours, do it now. Spread the word.
Tim

Re: The Road: FANTASTIC Quality!

Postby John Sands » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:03 am

I was staggered at the clarity of the opening piano on the very first track, 'I'll be home' and the clarity of Cass' voice and the percussion. So much more clear and big then my old vinyl, which I still have by the way. Amazing that almost 40 years later I can listen to this stuff and it sounds so much better. 'I'll Be Home' sounds like a Mozart concetro. 'Baby I'm Yours' is coming on. Gotta go!!!!
John Sands

Postby John Sands » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:50 am

On 'We'll See", Cass shows that she can teach Minnelli a thing or 2 and the way Mama Michelle has desribed her singing she can even teach Babs a thing or 2!!! and 'Try IT Baby' has that smoky quality that I can see Cass singing it in a cabaret right after singing the high powered 'Wild Women'.
John Sands

Postby Midnight Voyager » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:01 pm

What a difference a mix makes! I received the cd today and listened to the whole thing on earphones. It's a whole new experience. Although I always liked The Road is No Place for a Lady, I thought it paled in comparison to her previous album.

Granted, it's a completely different style from the Cass Elliot album. But I always felt like the album suffered from a lack of intimacy. Now I realize that that the lack of intimacy wasn't Cass's fault, but that of the poor mix. It's actually a wonderful album; its qualities rank right up there with her previous album. :D
Midnight Voyager

Postby roger » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:11 am

I too am thrilled with the re-release of the The Road CD. I felt like I was hearing for the first time a new release of Cass' music. The quality is outstanding and Cass' voice is so upfront on all the songs. I was afraid we would never be able to hear these songs in the way she recorded them.
Thank you Owen, Leah and Lewis and everyone else who made this happen. It truly is a dream come true!
Roger
roger

Postby Alby » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:21 pm

I agree with you Roger, and the sound is not saturated for example when she sings loud, I noticed so mainly with "Oh babe, what would you say", well done in general Collectors' Choice.

By the way, I read the title "When love was not a word" on the CD and I fetched my vinyl and read it without the word "When", is it that there was any release of the album with the longer title?

Albert.
Alby

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion