[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Cass TV Special

Cass TV Special

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Cass TV Special

Postby ignasi » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:24 am

Great DVD!!
My favorite moments are the trio Cass-Joni Mitchell-Mary Travers (what a 3 voices!), River Of Life and I Can Dream Can't I.
Cass was a great artist.
ignasi

Re: Cass TV Special

Postby Midnight Voyager » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:53 pm

I agree with you. The musical numbers, in general, are the most satisfying. Some of the "comedy" segments, or what passed for comedy at that period in time, are interesting, if somewhat cringe worthy at times. Still, it's great to have this historic moment in time. I've had this show in black and white on a fuzzy video for many years now. To see it in clear color is a revelation. I hope we get her second TV special soon, especially since Michelle appears on it. I've never seen any footage from it. If I recall correctly, isn't Denny on it also?
Midnight Voyager

Postby dunhill » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:49 pm

No, Denny was not on DCMMA. The major guest stars were Michelle, Dick Van Dyke and Joel Grey. Others on the show were Bess Cohen, Marvin Laird, Mary McCarty, Hamilton Camp, Dick Patterson and Ronnie Schell. There was some footage from the special that was featured in the A&E Biography about Cass, so if you saw that you saw a little bit of it. It's my favorite of the two specials and I certainly hope that it sees the light of day soon!

Charles
dunhill

Postby John Sands » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:57 am

to me the highlight of that show was the Cass and John Sebastian duet of "Darlin' Companion'. The best!
John Sands

Postby Casslvr » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:30 pm

I got my DVD yesterday and immediately watched it...in awe! It was so strange though, I was thinkng how great Mary Travers looked and sounded and that I should have more of her music. I started to wonder what she was up to lately, not knowing of her longtime illness and thinking how great it was that she (and Peter & Paul) were still alive making music. Then, about 10 minutes after the DVD ended, I saw the headline that Mary Travers had passed. That's a pretty weird coincidence, right?! Anyway, loved the DVD. She looked beautiful, especially while she was sitting and watching John Sebastian sing and I hope they'll come out with more of her specials...including "Don't Call Me Mama Anymore!" Thank God for Cass and Thank God for DVDs (Can I get an "Amen"?)!!! :D :D :D
Casslvr

Postby Drawer L » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:46 pm

I got my DVD the other day.Wow.Glad to see it's finally out.BUT---There's a few odd things about it:1)Lack of credits-who mastered the DVD? When/Where?--Who are the members of the band playing with Cass at the end--the drummer is definatly Jim Gordon,and the lead guitar player looks like James Burton,but without any closeups I can't be sure.---Also,on the bonus section--I know the Cass/Sammy Davis Jr. duet is from Hollywood Palace--but that too isn't credited---these details are usually credited--you have to get everyone involved to sign-off before you can release a DVD,so why not list them. 2)The video quality is excellent,but not as clean as it should be.--I'm GUESSING that it was scourced from a 3/4" U-matic dub,not the original 2" videotape. 3)Again on the bonus section-why include the spots that are already included in the show,and for that matter,if the idea was to have the original spots,where are the 'Coming Up On ABC' spots that should be there????
Drawer L

Postby adamcarr » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:40 pm

Hey Guys,

Casslvr, here's your AMEN!!! I Loved the DVD special, yes, some moments were very cringeworthy but others were just magnificent, especially with John Sebabstian. Hoping and praying for the "Don't Call Me Mama" Special, love to hear Cass sing "Extraordinary" can't wait to SEE Cass sing it! Also loved the Sammy Davis Jr extra, follows on from the "Make your Own Kind of Music" extra on the M&P's California Dreamin DVD, Have watched it countless times on utube, great to see it a lot clearer and without the counter in the top right hand corner.

Once again, AMEN to cass and future releases.

Cheers,
Adam.
adamcarr

Postby Casslvr » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:00 pm

Well said Adam...Well said!

Todd
Casslvr

Postby Midnight Voyager » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:36 pm

Midnight Voyager

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion