[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - What's Next In Line for Cass Re-releases?

What's Next In Line for Cass Re-releases?

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

What's Next In Line for Cass Re-releases?

Postby jcg » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:55 pm

Hello fellow Cassophiles
This is primarily intended for Owen or Richard, but if anyone has any info, it would be appreciated.

Now that the euphoria from the twofer CD and TV DVD is winding down, what will be the next release and when is the projected date? I hope the momentum for releasing Cass' full output hasn't waned. I remember reading a post from Owen that there were studio versions of the live songs on the "Don't Call Me Mama Anymore" album as well as plans to release the DVD of the same show. The recent twofer CD has rarely left my CD player and I'm really craving more.

Please let us know. Thank you.
JC
jcg

Re: What's Next In Line for Cass Re-releases?

Postby Midnight Voyager » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:25 pm

An album of the studio versions of the live songs on the "Don't Call Me Mama Anymore" would be great, wouldn't it? The same goes for a DVD release of her second special. But how much more material could there be?

A CD collection of her many rare TV songs would be awsome, but unrealistic because of cost-prohibitive copywrites. The same goes for a DVD of those TV appearances. Perhaps there are other recordings that we don't even know about; it's been quite a surprise that a few "new" songs have emerged in recent years, in various CD releases. I wonder if there are other live concert recordings out there; I certainly hope so.
Midnight Voyager

Postby KimL » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:48 am

I can only whole-heartedly agree with what others have already said on this topic.

Due to the confusion over the extra song listed on the twofer release notes from Collector's Choice, we now know that there is indeed a recording of "Don't Make me a Memory", which is, apparently a sequel song to "The Night Before." It'd be awesome to have that included on a disc with the DCMMA studio versions. :) After all, I found the studio version of "I Think a Lot About You" to be quite different from the live counterpart, so hearing the others would be simply fantastic!!

I know Owen once told us that there are several little treasures tucked away in the RCA archives, but I think that was prior to the complete Dunhill output being released and the two new tracks on the twofer we just got, so I don't know how many of those are left to see the light of day.

Ah, we can dream, can't we?!! Whatever comes out next, I'll anxiously anticipate it!!!

Kim
----------
"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
~Marcel Proust
KimL

Postby jcg » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:11 pm

Still hoping someone knows what's next for us who just can't get enough of Cass. Has ANYONE heard anything?
Jonesing
JC
jcg

Postby TRAVISJAMES03 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:32 am

Let's just enjoy what we have gotten so far before we get too greedy!

;-)

I would love to hear (if they exist) the studio versions of 'My Love,' 'I'll Be Seeing You,' 'I'm Comin' to the Best Part of My Life,' & 'Don't Call Me Mama Anymore.'

One thing that has always confused me about Cass' music catalog - though I know ZERO about the music industry, is it (or was it) common practice to misplace, lose, etc., songs?

I mean, how do these songs get lost in that proverbial 'vault' never to see the light of day? If effort was taken by the singer, musicians, etc., to record a song, how come it finally gets to be heard almost four DECADES after it was originally recorded?
TRAVISJAMES03

Postby dunhill » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:03 pm

Don't Call Me Mama Anymore sounds pretty much like the version on the CD recorded at Mr. Kelly's. The other songs you mention weren't featured in the special. Let's hope that when the DVD of the Don't special finally comes out that a bonus CD will be tucked inside with all of the unreleased studio music.

BTW - The major musical numbers in the special were:

Extraordinary
Medley: Make Your Own Kind Of Music, Dream A Little Dream Of Me, New World Coming
Those Were The Days/For Me And My Gal (duet with Joel Grey)
Don't Call Me Mama Anymore

Charles
dunhill

Postby TRAVISJAMES03 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:26 pm

Interesting.

I just find it weird how songs can vanish even after time, effort, and $$$ were put into recording them.

CE songs like "Darling, Be Home Soon," For as Long as You Need Me,' "We'll See," "Tryin it, Baby," etc., have only recently (very recently, in some cases) seen the light of day.

An extreme shame that songs like this sat for so many years unheard.
TRAVISJAMES03

Postby jcg » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:38 pm

jcg

Postby Midnight Voyager » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Midnight Voyager

Postby TRAVISJAMES03 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:09 am

Don't get me wrong, i am very glad that CE's lost work is making it onto CD's, etc.

It just irritates me that unreleased songs by artists today are usually found on youtube, etc. It is very hard in this digital world to keep anything unreleased....yet while we are getting sh*tty (sorry - can't think of a better word), for example, songs that are so bad that they can't even make it onto a Brittany (SP?) Spears' CD (ugh - my GF likes her - barf!), unreleased gems by CE sit in dusty vaults for decades.

NOT right....
TRAVISJAMES03

Next

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion