[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: Concert dates and info for the M&P's and related groups

Postby Sportguynj1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:23 am

I agree - there is no evidence that the Mamas and the Papas ever performed in England. In fact, I don't believe Michelle ever had been to England before the fall of 1967 when they sailed there on the France after their last Ed Sullivan show appearance. According to Michelle, Denny and the various biographies and articles, the group performed the majority of their live appearances in an extensive tour during the fall of 1966 after Michelle was reinstated to the group - but, by the time 1967 rolled around they "lightened the load" as Michelle said after finding out that Cass was pregnant. Most of the "Deliver" album was recorded between January and February, 1967 and outside of a concert in Berkeley, CA in January, 1967 (as covered in the March, 1967 edition of the Saturday Evening Post) and a concert done in Hawaii in March, 1967 which was part of a vacation the group took to Oahu after "Deliver" was completed, there isn't much evidence that the Mamas and Papas played very many live appearances in 1967. Obviously this was due to Cass's pregnancy and the recording of "Deliver". But, once April rolled around, John and Michelle got involved in the planning of the Monterey Pop Festival and Cass gave birth to Owen so they weren't even rehearsing together. The only other documented live appearances after that were their closing set at Monterey on Sunday, June 18th and their final concert at the Hollywood Bowl on Friday, August 18th. They may have played a few other concerts that summer as well - although a second appearance at Carnegie Hall was not one of them as I confirmed earlier.

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby ignasi » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:02 pm

Hey, don't forget Sacramento as part of the tour they did in january 1967. Was Sacramento and San Francisco. Michelle said that the other reason they didn't performed too much is because they didn't like to work.
Did they peformed in Canada on the summer of 1967?? Or it was another cancelled date??
ignasi

Postby Sportguynj1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:50 am

Yes, when I mentioned Berkeley that includes Sacremento and San Francisco as well since they performed there in January 1967 which was chronicled in the Saturday Evening Post. I know they didn't like to work all that much and cancelled shows here and there - it seems they didn't do that many live shows in 1967 - mostly due to Cass's pregnancy, recording "Deliver", organizing the Monterey Pop Festival and the fact that they had already grown apart.

When I was in college and Michelle Phillips was on her book tour in 1986, I remember that one of the talk shows she appeared on showed a clip from their trip to Hawaii in March, 1967 - it was shot as a home movie in 16mm b&w and she mentioned that they spent a week there and performed an amazing concert there during a raging storm - they told people to stay inside their homes and yet the show was sold out anyway.

I'm curious to know if they did perform any other live shows in the summer of 1967 between their appearances at Monterey Pop on June 18th and their last appearance at the Hollywood Bowl on August 18th.
Sportguynj1

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:25 pm

I'm fairly certain this show occurred...

June 24 - The M&P's - Public Auditorium, Cleveland, OH
Opening acts: The Buckinghams; Moby Grape
Known songs performed: Straight Shooter; Dancing In the Street; San Francisco (w/ Scott)

... seeing as how I have a review of it.
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Midnight Voyager » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:20 pm

Midnight Voyager

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:34 pm

Another bit of weirdness on the England thing...

On the Sep 24, 1967 episode of Ed Sullivan, this conversation takes place:

Ed: What is the reason, right now, for this type of singing gaining such popularity? What is it, because it's almost spiritual, is it some unrest on the part of...
Cass: It's very honest.
Ed: (nodding in agreement) Mm-hm, very honest.
Denny: (hard to hear what he says, something about people getting really involved with it, it sounds like...)
Ed: Now you've been in Europe, haven't you?
John: (nodding) Mm-hm.
Ed: And the same reaction over there?
(All nod yes)

Any thoughts?
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Sportguynj1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:37 am

Chris,

With regards to the conversation with Ed Sullivan on their last appearance on the show on September 24, 1967, I'm sure that John was referring to the fact that he, Denny and Cass had gone to England the previous year right after Michelle was ousted from the group in June, 1966. This is written about extensively and the group was there for a few weeks hanging out with the Beatles. This is where Paul McCartney questioned whether Denny's flub in "I Saw Her Again" was really a mistake that was left in the recording. And in Eddi Fiegel's book she refers to the fact that Cass had been there a few times before the group broke up.

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby Christopher60s » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:43 am

I am so sorry that I've abbandoned Cass' forum for such a long time...
But i just found out some interesting information about M&Ps concerts in Chicago.
This is what one man from YT sent me quite long time ago, and i forgot to share it:

The first Mamas and Papas concert I saw was during the summer of 1966. It was at McCormick Place in Chicago. The second one was on Halloween 1966. I can't remember what songs they did, but they were from their first two albums. At the first concert, the opening group was the Vogues who looked very early-sixties and totally out of place. The audience was polite but less-than enthusiastic.
The Mamas and Papas started their set with Straight Shooter. They played the intro several times before the group and the band rose from a lift under the stage. It was very dramatic. The audience went wild.
At the Halloween show Cass was wearing a short flowing orange chiffon dress. Denny said she was the Great Pumpkin. They all had pumpkins they had carved themselves, except for Denny whose pumpkin was blank.
At both concerts we were impressed by the fact that the sound was so pure and as good, or better than, their albums.
As a personal side-note, I ran into someone in the lobby during the second concert. We just passed by each other and said hello. Four years later we met again. We dated for a while and now were are still close friends.

That's it at the time :)
Christopher
Christopher60s

Postby CassFanForLife » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:39 am

This is great !! I'm enjoying all the replies to this topic and looking at the pix posted alongside...

By all means, anyone else have memories to share and pix ?! Never can have enough...for the folks who weren't there at the time ( not born yet , etc ), you get a sense you were there ...in spirit at least !

Thanks fer sharing, eh !
CassFanForLife

PreviousNext

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)