[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Did Michelle sing at Monterey?

Did Michelle sing at Monterey?

Share stories and discussions about Michelle Phillips.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Did Michelle sing at Monterey?

Postby jcg » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:12 am

Hello,

Does anyone know what happened to Michelle's voice during Monterey Pop? While shown in the documentary singing passionately, her voice isn't audible on any of the recordings I've heard.

I am always so pleased to read the insightful and authoritative posts and how passionate and knowledgable most people are here, so I'm hoping some of you learned scholars can clear up the confusion. Thank you in advance for any help.

My sincere wish for peace and prosperity to all my fellow Cassophile!

JC
jcg

Re: Did Michelle sing at Monterey?

Postby dunhill » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:49 am

Her microphone was either turned off or the volume was very low. I believe her mic was off, but others claim to be able to hear her voice at various places throughout the performance.
dunhill

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:23 pm

Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby jcg » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:08 pm

I appreciate the input in clarifying this issue.

This comes partly as a relief to know, as I thought I was just tone-deaf! I absolutely could not hear Michelle, even though I could clearly see her singing in the video. So basically then, Monterey is a good place to hear what the Mamas and the Papas would sound like as a trio!

I wonder if there's been any acknowledgment from her as to what the story was? Also, I wonder if Hendrix and the Who just blew her mike away?
jcg

Postby Sportguynj1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:04 am

Denny has said in previous interviews that The Who and Jimi Hendrix "nearly destroyed the stage" during their performances with knocking over drums and mics and breaking their guitars all over the place. If you watch the Monterey dvd which displays most of the Mamas and Papas' performances at the festival (Disc 3 - the Outake Performances), you'll notice that when the Mamas and Papas take the stage and get ready to sing their opening number, "Straight Shooter," that Lou Adler has to come out and try to adjust the monitors and get the mics working. Cass and John's mics are working but Denny's mic wasn't turned on properly until just before he was supposed to start singing the first verse - you actually see him trying to test the mic and he realizes it isn't working. Somehow his mic comes on right before he has to start singing. I believe that Michelle's mic was either mistakenly turned off or, more probably was damaged as a result of the previous performances by The Who and Jimi Hendrix. The only time you can really hear her in when she's standing close to Cass and her voice - faint as it is - is picked up by Cass's microphone. Obviously, this is just one of the reasons why the group has owned up to the fact that this was their worst live performance.

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby jcg » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:03 pm

Fascinating!

You guys rock. Thanks for taking time to answer my question.
jcg

Postby John Sands » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:30 am

I was PO'ed that Michelle could not be heard, especially on 'Got a Feelin'. On the record either before or after "Somebody Groovy', I can hear Cass yell 'Michelle' and Michelle answer 'What?'. Heard her there for some reason.
John Sands

Postby Sportguynj1 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:04 pm

John,

I remember some video footage from a Cass Elliot biography from years back which actually shows the interplay between Cass and Michelle that you hear on the CD. The reason you can hear Michelle there is because she was right near Cass and her voice was picked up over Cass's microphone since they were in such close proximity to each other. Actually that moment is kind of funny because it occured at the end of "I Call Your Name" and Cass was down on her knees and Michelle was standing right next to her. Apparantly Cass couldn't get up so she said "Michelle attenzione!" to get Michelle to help her get back to her feet. Then she threw in another zinger and said "I like to inject a little culture in her life whenever I can" which was one of her favorite ways to take a dig at Michelle when they were on stage together.

I agree with you - it's too bad you can't hear Michelle on those live recordings because, I'm sure if her microphone was working properly the harmonies which she and Cass sang so beautifully would certainly have made that performance a lot better than it was!

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby John Sands » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:25 pm

I thought that maybe it was Denny's mike picking it up. Thanks for the clarrification.
John Sands

Postby jcg » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:17 pm

I went back and listened and you can, indeed, hear Michelle in spurts throughout. I'm surprised to say that I appreciate the Monterey performance that much more knowing the circumstances. It's a trip to hear them as a trio! In any case, thanks again to everyone.
jcg

Return to Michelle Phillips