Mamas and Papas movie

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Mamas and Papas movie

Postby Nicole » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:57 am

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if there is any more information about the movie. The last I read it was going forward in pre-production and a script was in the process of being written. Has anything else moved forward? Any further information would be greatly appreciated.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Re: Mamas and Papas movie

Postby adamcarr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:58 pm

I'll second that Nicole, I've searched the internet for info on this for years. Last I heard was in that great interview with Michelle Phillips that was posted on this forum:-

Digger: Can you please tell us about your current projects and what you have planned for the future?
Michelle: Well, we are in the last gasps of making a film deal but I can't tell you the studio. It's the story of The Mamas and The Papas.
Digger: Wow.
Michelle: I actually had a call from my attorney this morning which I missed which might be the "Okay it's done" call. You know what, it's never done until that first screening starts.
Digger: These things can have lots of false starts and go on for decades. Do you have any input into it?
Michelle: I'm a producer.
Digger: So you have a lot of control and will you be able to choose who plays who?
Michelle: I'm not sure that I will have that kind of control and this is a very big studio that we're dealing with. They don't usually give away that kind of control even to the 'producers'. It's going to be so much fun and so funny, because the story of The Mamas and The Papas is really a comedy. It's really a musical comedy.
Digger: I can't wait. Hopefully the lawyers and accountants will get their fingers out.
Michelle: Well, it has taken 25 years and so you may have been kidding but it does take that long sometimes to get a project off the ground and sometimes it takes two months. But as I heard someone says once when they were getting their academy award, he said "It's really true that films are not made, they're willed into existence. " So when it's signed and they make the announcement in the press, whooh! it will be so exciting.

If anyone has any contact with Michelle maybe we could get an update?? Maybe Owen or Richard may have heard something?

Has anyone optioned Eddi Fiegels's book for Film??

We keep hoping and "Searchin"

Cheers,
Adam.
adamcarr

Postby Nicole » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:43 am

Hi Adam,
Thanks for that reply. I'd forgotten about that digger interview.
Take care,
Nicole

Postby Rbcsoup » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:58 am

I defer to Owen who is in a better position than I to comment on this matter but progress is being made with a major studio and the "dream is still alive."
Rbcsoup

Postby adamcarr » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi Richard,

Great to see you back on the forum, thanks so much for that info, we're all still waiting in anticipation for this movie. Hoping you'll be on board as a creative consultant!

Cheers,
Adam
:P
adamcarr

Postby Nicole » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:14 am

Hi Adam and Richard,
Thanks for the posts. Glad to hear progress is being made.
Take care,
Nicole

Postby John Sands » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks for bringing this up Nicole. Imagine, it was going to be done in 1986 with Chynna as Michelle and Carnie as Cass. How time goes by.
John Sands

Postby Nicole » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:45 am

Hi John,
You're welcome. Thanks for bringing up that it was going to be done in '86 with Chynna and Carnie Wilson. I'd forgotten about that. Time does fly.
Take care,
Nicole

Postby CassFanForLife » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:09 pm

I got to thinking , and a possible canidate for the casting of Cass, came to me...Nikki Blonsky from HAIRSPRAY movie with John Travolta. The reason i say this, is when I went to google her up , on Wikipedia, her fave singers are.... CASS and Patsy Cline....
CassFanForLife

Postby adamcarr » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi Cass Fan for Life,

We had a big discussion about CASTING CASS, if you'll look thru the GENERAL CASS DISCUSSION you'll find it.
Had some great suggestions.

Cheers,
Adam
adamcarr

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)