Cass on "People Like Us"

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: Cass on "People Like Us"

Postby Nicole » Mon May 31, 2010 10:49 am

Hi Cassfan,
I think the anthology that was the box set that you're looking for is called The Mamas and The Papas: The Complete Anthology. As far as I know, it's still avaliable. Perhaps it's on Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com) However, the 2-cd set released in 2001 called All The Leaves are Brown: The Gloden Era is avaliable, used, from Amazon. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... l+the+leav Hope that helps.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby adamcarr » Mon May 31, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi Guys,

I bought the MAMAS & PAPAS anthology 4 disc box set and it sounds great, the 4th disc has a great collectioon of rarities and PLU sounds quite good, I'm no expert but it sounds a lot better than the LP I have of it. Also contains the Monterey Pop Fest Recording. I keep thinking how cool it would be to have a CASS ANTHOLOGY, a beautiful box set with all the solo recordings and a booklet by Richard and/or Owen., although I want DON'T CALL ME MAMA on DVD first!!

Cheers,
Adam
adamcarr

Postby CassFanForLife » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:04 pm

Hey there Adam.....If I ever get this 4 box CD , I'm sure I'll enjoy it as much as you... Now, you're talking... A CASS ANTHOLOGY BOX SET.....and by all means have Richard/Owen/Leah do the booklet work.. The "Don't Call Me Mama" on DVD, now that's something, I hope will become a reality , and her Palladium show..... :D
CassFanForLife

Postby jcg » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi all!

I agree that a Cass anthology is frustratingly overdue. It's kind of disappointing that her output is only available piecemeal on compilations. Thankfully, the CE/Road twofer begins to make up for it.

I've been hoping for the "DCMMA" set to be released forever. I asked about it some time ago and there were hints from Owen that there were studio tracks for all the live versions at Mr. Kelley's, however, it doesn't appear to be in the works yet. I'll have to look back through the forum.

The Ms & Ps two-CD anthology has a mono version of I Saw Her Again that isn't on the four-CD Anthology; other than that, they both have the complete "golden era" catalog. Personally, I feel both are excellent remasters, but I'll give the edge to the Anthology. Monterey sounds the best I've heard it and PLU also shines.

peace and prosperity
jcg
jcg

Postby John Sands » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:34 am

though she had no solos on 'People', Cass' contributuons on individual songs were, to me, as strong as on any other MP's albums. I could hear her strongly on 'Shooting Star' and 'No Dough' and her solo lines on 'Pearl' make the track for me as does that soaring 'torn from the willow' towards the end of 'Lady Genevieve'.

She's not there as much as I wanted her there but, god bless her, she s there.
John Sands

Postby Nicole » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:56 am

Hi John,
I agree with you, I love that "torn from the willows" part in Lady Genevieve and all the other parts you mentioned.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby jcg » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:36 am

Hi John & Nicole,

I agree that Cass' contribution to Pearl is significant and, for me, makes the song (especially after seeing her rapturous expression during Monterey upon hearing Janis Joplin). I recently purchased the Anthology and am rediscovering the PLU album. The remastering job is great; to quote Jimmy Page upon remastering the Zeppelin catalog, it's like "the same picture in a different frame". Also, I'm going to listen more closely to Lady Genevieve

In the meantime, lets hope for more treasures from the vaults.

jcg
jcg

Postby John Sands » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:27 pm

jcg,

Agreed. We will hope for more goodies.
John Sands

Postby jcg » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:35 pm

Ok, I have to concede that People Like Us is much better in the remastered form as presented on the Anthology. Cass is more present in the mix and the songs seem somehow less forced. Although, still, wouldn't a remix by Lou Adler be awesome?
jcg

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:30 pm

Far from great, the remastering job on the Complete Anthology box is in fact one of the worst I've ever heard.
Ars_Nova_Chris

PreviousNext

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)