[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - I bought recently : LIVE-Mamas & Papas

I bought recently : LIVE-Mamas & Papas

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

I bought recently : LIVE-Mamas & Papas

Postby CassFanForLife » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:43 am

I bought this recently: Live- Mamas and Papas cd, and I think it is of the new Mamas and Papas formation, the hits done live with a song they did a cover of as well : Sundays Will Never Be The Same.... what's interesting , is that the cover of the cd sleeve is that of Cass/Denny/Michelle/John, taken from one of their outdoor photo session where Cass is wearing the yellow jacket, yet the music on the CD is that of the new Mamas and Papas ....
CassFanForLife

Re: I bought recently : LIVE-Mamas & Papas

Postby Owen Elliot-Kugell » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:02 am

This CD is an outrage...it is NOT a recording of the *original* group...yet it has a pic of them on the front. False advertising....

We(meaning the group) had nothing to do with that CD..

Owen
Owen Elliot-Kugell

Postby Sportguynj1 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:26 am

Talk about false advertising! It's too bad there isn't another live recording of the original group other than their lackluster performance at the Monterey Pop Festival - which all four members agreed wasn't one of their best performances. I realize that the original group only played about 40 or so live shows during their 2 and half year lifespan as a group, but I'm surprised that there aren't any other live recordings of the original group from some of their most famous concerts at the Hollywood Bowl and Carnegie Hall. I figure that if there were other live recordings from the original group they would have been released by now.

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby CassFanForLife » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:51 am

Hi Owen....

Thanks for your reply...I thought the same after I brought the CD home and went to listen to it... Why put on a pic of the original gang when the music is that of either the new Mamas and Papas formation or of another group that is a teibute band to them doing the stuff. ?! The inside of cover just lists the songs and I think I remember seeing the word complilation. I'll have a closer look at the CD and post the exactt info about it, next time I'm at the library to use the internet.
CassFanForLife

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:27 pm

The concert, released many times on many labels, is from, I believe, 1982, and features John, Scott (not sure where Denny was...), Spanky and Mackenzie. The band most likely consisted of Shayne Fontaine on guitar, Gary Burke on drums, Gary Kelly on bass, and Arthur Stead on keyboards.
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby ignasi » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:10 am

ignasi

Postby ignasi » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:45 am

i find out that jimi hendrix was recorded on that concert. he was their opening act, so maybe exists some video footage of the m&p performance, as they were the stars of the night.
ignasi

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:23 pm

We know that some footage of the original group in concert, other than Monterey, does in fact exist. Ever seen the clip of Cass holding a sign that says "Cass is omnipotent"? Now the question is, who has this film currently?

Also, Sanaz Favier (John's step-daughter) has in her possession several reels of old footage that belonged to John, although I do not believe she has gone through them to see what they contain, and they have not, as of yet, been digitally archived.
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby John Sands » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:09 am

I have a 'new group' cd that I never listened to. I bought it because it had one of the pics from the first album photo session in color, group on steps of the 'green house', Cass with magic wand and Michelle with a kitten.
John Sands

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)