Which M&P/Cass tv doc do you think is the best ?

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Which M&P/Cass tv doc do you think is the best ?

Postby CassFanForLife » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:38 pm

I only recall seeing part of a documentary either on PBS or maybe it was on A & E years back, it was good for what I saw of it . I have the California Dreaming DVD at home . Out of all the tv docs on M & P/Cass, which one would you say is the best overall and do you know if they will come out on DVD ?
CassFanForLife

Re: Which M&P/Cass tv doc do you think is the best ?

Postby adamcarr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi Cassfan,

Personally I like the A&E bio on Cass that's on UTube, don't think its available on DVD. The "Straight Shooter" dvd on the M&P's is also good but leans more as a bio on John Phillips. I'm with you on the CALIFORNIA DREAMIN dvd, it's my fave (Because it's got a lot on Cass), and apart from the Mama Cass TV Show dvd, thats it.

We all wait patiently for the DONT CALL ME MAMA DVD release (of which there is still no date).

Cheers,
Adam
adamcarr

Postby Sportguynj1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:04 am

Hi guys,

I have to say that while I like the "Straight Shooter" and "California Dreamin'" documentary DVD's I think that the "Behind the Music" special they did on E! Entertainment in 1998 (when they were finally inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame) was my favorite. It had great commentary from not only John, Michelle and Denny but also from Cass's sister, Leah Kunkel, who provided a more in-depth insight regarding not only the group but to Cass in general. It didn't "white-wash" anything and told the true story of The Mamas and the Papas - warts and all. It was all there - the good, the bad and the ugly and you could really feel both joy and pain when the surviving members spoke about Cass and their time together as the Mamas and the Papas. It's especially poignant now since both John and Denny are gone.

I loved what Michelle said at the end - "Great things aren't meant to last forever - they're special, they're unique - they're like a bubble...and that's what the Mamas and Papas were". I thought that was the best assessment regarding the relatively short life-span of the group.

Cheers,

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby adamcarr » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:55 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for that Rob, I never saw that special, sounds excellent! Will definatley be on the lookout for that one.

Cheers,
Adam
adamcarr

Postby Nicole » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:23 am

Hi eveerybody,
Not to sound silly, but you know, I can't decide which documentary I think is best. All of those mentioned have brought out such interesting facets of the group, it is difficult for me to decide. I like them all. :lol:
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)