[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Cass Elliots Perfect Pitch

Cass Elliots Perfect Pitch

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Cass Elliots Perfect Pitch

Postby terry anderson » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:40 pm

Most everyone is well aware of Cass Elliot's incomparable voice and perfect pitch. Even Mel Torme ( a tremendous talent known for having perfect pitch also) said in an interview that Cass Elliot had the most perfect pitch of any female singer that he had ever heard. That being said,I'll get to my question. For instance, as Cass is holding the final note The Night Before,(which is riveting!) the flute player moves around that last note and finally comes into perfect sync with her still holding the final note. Perfectly! So what's to stop her from having a little fun with the orchestra at rehearsal and holding whatever note for whatever instrument to tune it properly? Could she have? Would she have? Did she? Maybe one of you technical music wizards could enlighten me. You know, just a little behind the scenes stuff!
terry anderson

Re: Cass Elliots Perfect Pitch

Postby CassFanForLife » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:27 am

Hi Terry...that's a good question, I'd be interested in a reply to this from someone who's good in the techies of music-vocal aspects.
CassFanForLife

Postby Rbcsoup » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:17 am

Great post. I asked Chet Dowling (who is the source of the Mel Torme quote and was one of Cass' comedy writers) and here is his wonderful reponse. The Chinese Restaurant story is simply classic and a testament to what a great sense of humor Cass had. Enjoy----

Hi Richard... Yes, I might have told you that during a lunch with Mel Torme at the Sportsmens' Lodge in Studio City, he mentioned how much he admired Cass; and that she indeed had 'perfect pitch'.
As for her joking around with a band, even in rehearsals, that would never happen. She knew every musician on her session was hand picked, and top notch. I believe the special arrangement of "The Night Before" was done by the composer, Al Kasha. She really loved that number because it told a story that hit home with so many people. Her favorite line was: What did you say your name was? You, with your hand on the door"... In real life she had a great sense of humor. I recall haviing Dinner with her and Alan Carr at her favorite Chinese Restaurant in Chicago. We let Cass do the ordering. The owner came to the table, and Cass pointed to some items on the menu. "Write this down...Number 9...14...27...and 42.... Okay...that's what we DON'T want....Bring us everything else. And he replied..."Yes, I bring your regular order".
I hope all is well with you and the family....as ever, Chet

Richard
Rbcsoup

Postby jcg » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks for that Richard. That is genuinely very funny!

jcg
jcg

Postby CassFanForLife » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:33 am

LOL..Richard...that was a riot to read, thanks for sharing that...anymore ?! Please ?!?

I can visualize your story in my mind and , oh my...She would have had me rolling on the floor ....
CassFanForLife

Postby KimL » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:43 am

Hi All,

Fabulous story, Richard! Thanks so much for sharing... too funny! LOL!

As for the perfect pitch question, as a professionally trained musician who happenes to have perfect pitch, I can share that yes, it is possible to tune instruments pretty accurately utilizing this gift. Hahaha. I've done it a few times for friends. It's pretty cool, actually. Needless to say, when I found out my most beloved singer of all time had perfect pitch, I was totally thrilled.

Warmest Wishes to All,
Kim :)
----------
"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
~Marcel Proust
KimL

Postby kimleonard » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:18 am

Perfect pitch, to hear musicians who don't have it describe it, is a little like being able to make your ears wiggle--a cute stunt, but without much practical value. Others, however, say that having it is like going to color TV from black-and-white.
kimleonard

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion