"MANY MAMAS, MANY PAPAS" RELEASED!!!!

Forum to discuss other group members, i.e. Scott Mckenzie, Spanky McFarlane, Mackenzie Phillips, Jill Gibson, etc.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

"MANY MAMAS, MANY PAPAS" RELEASED!!!!

Postby Gregory24 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Well, it has finally been released!! I am thrilled to hear the "new" tunes and the studio versions of these songs (a few have been released/available in other forms), but I am so in love with harmony... women and men singing together. The live tracks on the second disc sound so much better than the original Savoy ones that I had heard... plus - when I went and saw them live at the very beginning of their touring - (if I am remembering correctly), they also included two Cass Elliot solo group numbers... as nice as it was to hear them live, I am so glad that they were NOT released on this disc. Hers were the definitive versions and, in my humble opinion, should be left that way in regard to any future discs that include these latter-day Many Mamas, Many Papas. I was there for their first performance in L.A., and when they returned (as I have said before, Michelle Phillips ran up on stage and sang "California Dreamin'" with them). It was thrilling. It is definitely worth purchasing... however, I wish there had been a few more quotes from the group members in the liner notes. I do know that Spanky was very excited about these tracks finally being released.

On another front, and for those who did not know, Chynna has re-grouped with Wilson Phillips and recorded a holiday album. Welcome Back, Ladies!! Now, if only the fans could hear Owen's voice... strong, terrific!!
Gregory24

Re: "MANY MAMAS, MANY PAPAS" RELEASED!!!!

Postby Dark Horse 77 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Did Chyna record a solo album in the 1990s that JP helped out on; or am I just imagining that!?
Dark Horse 77

Postby Nicole » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:19 am

Hi Darkhorse,
As far as I know, Chynna Phillips did record a solo album, released in 1995 called Naked and Sacred, but John Phillips did not help out on. However, in 1993, Carnie and Wendy Wilson released a Christmas album, Hey Santa, that their uncle Carl Wilson sang on. Hope this helps.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Gregory24 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:31 pm

Wilson Phillips, as most of you know, did release a CD in 2004 called "California". Owen sang back-up on "Monday, Monday", and I believe she also sang on Carnie's holiday album. Michelle sang back-up with a lot of other singers on the Beach Boys tune "Dance, Dance, Dance".
Gregory24

Postby Dark Horse 77 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks Nicole, it does help. I think what we really need (and what I would love) is a complete sessionography of John Phillips. It would a great read and very informative.
Dark Horse 77

Postby adamcarr » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:22 pm

I'm with you Greg on hearing Owen, I've listened to WP version of Monday Monday and tried to differenciate the voices but haven't had much luck. Ive read on a few posts that some people have seen/heard Owen sing (With Carl Wilson?) and that she's very good.
Wish there was something out there we could hear that is just Owen.
Cheers,
Adam
adamcarr

Postby John Sands » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:01 am

John Sands

Postby Owen Elliot-Kugell » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:01 pm

I knew that would turn up eventually..lol

My very dear friend Jimmy Demers asked me to sing that song with him on his record, which i happily did. The song has very special meaning to Jimmy..his mother used to sing it to him and his siblings when they were young. On the record, it's Jimmy mother singing in the beginning of the song.

Jimmy asked me to go with him for a very early morning appearance at the oldies station here in LA. We arranged the song right before going on..because they asked us at the last minute to perform! I was sooo nervous...flubbing a line or two along the way..

Singing that song is very special to me, for obvious reason!
Owen Elliot-Kugell

Postby adamcarr » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Cheers for John for posting that link!!

Meanwhile Owen, they're all correct, you do have a beautiful voice and I wish we could hear a bit more of it. i keep imagining the possibilites of "Wilson Phillips Elliot", a duet with Leah, Chyanna, mack, ah the possibilities are endless. :)

Thanks to Jimmy Demers for posting on utube to begin with., most enjoyable.

Cheers,
Adam
adamcarr

Postby Nicole » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:54 am

Hi Darkhorese and John,
You're welcome, and John, thanks for posting that link.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Next

Return to Other Mamas, Other Papas