[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - "Many Mamas Many Papas" Track Listing

"Many Mamas Many Papas" Track Listing

Share stories and discussions about John Phillips.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: "Many Mamas Many Papas" Track Listing

Postby Dark Horse 77 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:44 pm

That truly sucks that those last five songs aren't on the cd. Possibly due to time constraints? But it's the usual these days, there are always a bunch of different versions to buy of albums these days. Exile on Main St. had something like five, David Bowie's Station to Station has two different types depending on how much you love it or how much money you have to spend. I guess if I ever get some free itunes money I'll get those last five songs.
Dark Horse 77

Postby KimiAndRitz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:53 pm

I got my "Many Mamas, Many Papas" CD from Amazon today.

The CD does *not* have tracks 17-21 from the iTunes release. :evil:

I did purchase the extra songs from iTunes and they're fantastic. I recommend anyone who buys the disc to also go purchase the extra tracks--they are must-haves.

But not putting them on the CD is such a load of BS. There isn't enough room to fit all 21 tracks on the first disc, but there is MORE than enough room to put them on the second disc.

Truth be told--and I'm probably in the minority here--but I have little to no interest in the live material, I'd have rather had more studio tracks.

I don't mind paying the $3.45 to buy the extra tracks, but after buying every disc in the Varese Papa John series it would be nice to have an actual tangible copy of those tracks instead of digital downloads. Not everyone listens to iPods and MP3's. Also, what about anyone outside the US who wants to get those tracks?

Bad bad bad bad decision Varese. After doing such a fine job with the previous discs, this is really upsetting and a slap in the face to every consumer who has purchased the JP series.

I'm glad nothing like this happened with Cass's CD reissues.

I don't know if there's any more of John's material left in the vaults to be released, but if Varese does plan any future releases I really hope they don't do anything like this again.

--Kev
KimiAndRitz

Postby dunhill » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Back when this series was first being planned I was contacted about doing some webmaster duties for the official John site. At that time the plan was to offer some tracks for digital download only directly on John's site. This was due to the fact that some songs would not be of sufficient sonic quality to include as a part of any of the CD releases, but rabid fans would still want them (count me in!). I'm not sure that this is the case with the five songs mentioned in this thread, but it was always planned that some songs would only be released as digital downloads. I'll ask if this is the case and post the answer when I get one or you may contact Varèse directly.

BTW - It turned out to be more practical to offer the digital stuff through iTunes, Amazon, etc., so that's why they aren't on the John site.
dunhill

Postby pauliewood » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:57 am

John's site does not even mention "Many Mamas Many Papas" CD. I gather from above entry that site is only about sales.
pauliewood

Postby John Sands » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:46 am

'Kokomo' sung by Papa Denny and Scott? Can you imagine? Can't wait to hear this one. Anyone who has already heard it care to comment?

Thanks
John Sands

Postby pauliewood » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:46 am

"Kokomo" sung by Denny and Scott is stunning, John. Most won't recognize as the Beach Boys song they are familiar with (doesn't have the "Aruba, Jamaica ..ooh I wanna take ya" rift), but I am liking this version. Mellow and romantic. It's too bad Denny quit the group so early on, as his vocals made the harmonies all come together. As a kid, I thought is was Cass who accomplished this.
pauliewood

Postby Dark Horse 77 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Do we know when the extra tracks date from? The early 1981-3 batch or the later 89 sessions? I'm a completist so I love to know this kind of info and who sang lead on each track, etc.
Dark Horse 77

Postby pauliewood » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:17 pm

can't answer that, DarkHorse..but I must say, I am stunned a how many "fans" here have not purchased this cd. Pretty easy to see why Varese would have a hard time keeping the John Phillips releases from coming, as even the suppossed faithful aren't buying.
pauliewood

Postby Midnight Voyager » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:29 pm

I've never done itunes. Is there any other way to get the bonus tracks? I let itunes take control the songs on my computer and it held them captive. It was a b**** trying to access them to burn CDRs. I'm old school and don't understand how to manipulate it. Yes, I admit I'm borderline retarded when it comes to technology.
Midnight Voyager

Postby Midnight Voyager » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:16 pm

I guess I'm not as retarded as aI thought I was. I finally figured out how to download the tunes. It took a little longer to figure out how to burn them on a CD. Still, then a very generous and friendly member sent the files to me. Thanks! :)
Midnight Voyager

PreviousNext

Return to John Phillips