Best LIVE version of M & P song they ever did ....

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Best LIVE version of M & P song they ever did ....

Postby CassFanForLife » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:28 am

With all the docs that have been made, Monterey, etc and youtube clips, what for you in your mind, is the BEST LIVE version of a M & P song they ever did ?
CassFanForLife

Re: Best LIVE version of M & P song they ever did ....

Postby Nicole » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:01 am

Hi cassfan,
In my humble opinion, I like Straight Shooter the first song they did at Monterey.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby adamcarr » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Hi Cassfan & Nicole,
I'm with you Nicole on STRAIGHT SHOOTER, it's my fave on the Monterey Album too, love Cass' vocal when she soars above everyone with the line "Baby what your holdin, half of that belongs to me.....yeah"
Cheers,
Ad
adamcarr

Postby Sportguynj1 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:23 am

Hi Guys,

I realize that outside of the Monterey Pop Festival, there is very little precious live recordings made by the original group. I know that on most of their live appearances on television shows like Ed Sullivan, Hullabaloo, the Hollywood Palace, etc. they either lip-synched or sang over a pre-recorded track so I don't know whether this counts as a "live" performance. However, since they never made a studio recording of "Here In My Arms", which they sang on the "Rodgers and Hart Today" TV special, I would have to say this was my favorite "live" recording of the group on a song they should have released. Denny's lead vocal is nothing short of amazing (and one of his best) and Michelle and Cass really soar on the background vocals. Of course we know they used the backing instrumental track of "Here In My Arms" and created "No Salt On Her Tail" by re-arranging it with new vocals, but, in my opinion, "Here In My Arms" was truly one of their greatest "unreleased" performances. You can see it on the "California Dreaming" documentary DVD in it's entirety.

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby Papa J » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:44 pm

I really like their Monterey performance of "Got a Feelin." Cass' vocal is great, and I think the performance surpasses the record. Even though the recording is much, much better, another one of the Monterey's peformances I also like is "California Dreamin'." The live version has its shortcomings (slightly off-key and no Michelle, except possibly at the very end), but their enthusiasm and intensity really grabs you.
Papa J

Postby Eran » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:43 am

I wish there were something to add to this discussion but the unfortunate fact of the matter is that we have NOTHING but Monterey and the odd TV performance where the live track can somehow be heard along with the pre-recorded track.

I keep remember video footage from the Straight Shooter documentary, clearly taken during a live M&P show, where Cass is holding a sign which reads "Cass is omnipotent". I have absolutely no idea as to the origins or quality of this video but it stands to reason that somewhere out there there must be, or at one point, must have been an accompanying audio track.

Oh well...but if Monterey is what I've got to work with then I guess I have to say 'Somebody Groovy'. Watching the live footage has always made me regret that Michelle's mic was f***ed up because she clearly was singing her heart out.
Eran

Postby terry anderson » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Hello everyone-this is such an interesting topic ! Although I really enjoy anything M&P's, one of my most treasured videos is "Words Of Love" from the Ed Sullivan Show. While only Cass is singing live, and rest of the group lip-syncing, it is such a gem that I don't mind bending the rules just a little bit in this case. From the very beginning of the song, when Cass does that little dance(Teeny Bopper Dance?) past John Phillips (which cracks him up straightaway!) to dancing and swinging the mike around in the air, to the ending where she takes a bow and does some kind of hand roll to the group, just their reactions to all of this are just priceless! I couldn't help but notice (I've watched this more than once) how much fun the group was having as a whole. Particularly John. Cass tickled his funny bone throughout the performance! Even though it's difficult to take your eyes off of Cass, try watching Johns reactions to Cass's off-the-wall antics! To me, this was a special performance by the M&P's where everything jelled perfectly, the studio audience was entertained, the television audience was entertained, and yes, even the Mama and the Papas were entertained also! Yep, one of my favorites!!!
terry anderson

Postby John Sands » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:07 am

Nicole,

I had chose Straight Shooter too or maybe 'I Call Your Name' from Shindig.

Eran,

Possibly that concert footage was silent 8 m film. I ofter wondered if there was more of it and how I could wangle a way to see/own it!!!
John Sands

Postby jcg » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:32 pm

I agree with Terry about the "Words of Love" clip; Cass is radiant on it, exuding that magic uniquely hers!

Of the little live material available, musically, I'd have to say "Somebody Groovy" from Monterey is my favorite. It's alot more sinuous and has alot more crunch and swagger than the recorded version (which is not a criticism, as the recorded version is another of my personal favorites). The only thing is the Michelle/microphone controvery. It really sucks that someone couldn't have checked/fixed her microphone before the performance began. It's not like she was some random backup singer; she was 1/4 of a very important vocal group for God's sake! Oh well, excuse me while I mop up the spilled milk.

Despite Michelle's vocal absence, I love "Somebody Groovy". Cass rocks it, and of what little we have to go by, it's one of their harder-edged performances.

Another favorite, for completely different reasons, is the Rodger's and Hart special version of "Sing For Your Supper" that's available as an extra on the DVD California Dreamin' The Songs of the Mamas and the Papas. The group is lip-synching throughout, but in a rare candid moment, Denny and Cass break synch in an apparent argument. Denny whispers something in her ear which seems to irk her. She gives him a harsh stare and whispers something apparently scathing which makes him uneasy for the rest of the performance. It is fascinating to watch, I wish I could make out what they're saying. It looks like a doozy of an argument.

jcg
jcg

Postby adamcarr » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:41 pm

I know what you mean JCG, I've often thought of that myself, you can make out when Cass says "Not one crumb" but thats about it. Maybe we need someone who's good at lip reading? Any fellow Cass Fans good at this?, we sure would love a translation.

I love watching Cass & Denny together performing, if they both weren't such talented singers you could imagine a comedy duo in the vein of George & Gracie etc, the bond and close friendship between them is very obvious.

Meanwhile, it is just me or does Denny appear a little intoxicated during that performace? :lol:

Cheers,
Adam
adamcarr

Next

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)