[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Alternate single mixes?

Alternate single mixes?

What's the B-Side!?

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Alternate single mixes?

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:10 am

Ok, so in an effort to complete my Mamas and Papas related song collection, I'm basically down to this as far as studio recorded, officially released tracks go:

Does anyone have any specific info as to which songs have substantially different mixes on the 45's?

I already have a few of the mono single mixes and so I know this much so far...

Words of Love
Creeque Alley
Even If I Could
Free Advice

...all definitely have noticeably different mixes than they do on the stereo versions.

Also, I just got the mono Deliver LP and although I've only had a chance to listen to it once while I was busy with other things, I did notice that there are several songs that are different, especially the great harmony that's on the end of Twist and Shout in this mix. Free Advice on there seemed to be the same as the single version. I'll have to listen when I have more time and see what other differences there are...

Does anyone know if the other mono albums have any major differences, or is it just Deliver?
Ars_Nova_Chris

Re: Alternate single mixes?

Postby Alby » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi,
I have the second LP in mono and the songs that are the same as the single mixes are:
I saw her again (the instrumental's cut and longer fade) and Even if I could (some parts without the backing vocals and the horn's more upfront then).

In the mono release of the first LP the only difference of the mono mixes are the vocals and instruments sometimes
being further or more upfront.

See you,

Albert.
Alby

Postby davidasix » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:38 am

Which tracks are different album tracks or different single versions (mono or stereo) from the many tracks on the Mamas and Papas Complete Anthology (Import from UK)?

Cue me in on where to find the extra tracks you think I should pop onto my iPod. I have almost every CD released, but would be fine buying from online sources.

Dave
davidasix

Postby shureman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:25 pm

Creeque Alley, my favorite M & P tune, has at least 3 incarnations. The common stereo one features added reverb & no repeat of the last line, " becoming a reality " (all you can hear is " ty " ); some album CDs, such as the Anthology 2 CD set and All the Leaves are Brown, features the same production as the stereo one except you can hear the repeat of " becoming a reality ". The 45 rpm mono hit version has the repeat of the last line plus extra piano harmonies and lots of horns ! Only one or two hard-to-find CDs contain this version. An audio acquaintance of mine synched the mono 45 and stereo versions to come up with the closest thing to a true stereo 45 experience...simply wonderful !!
shureman

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:55 pm

There's also the Sullivan version of Creeque Alley :) The group sang live over the studio recording and at some points they sang additional harmony parts not on any of the other three versions. You can hear it really well near the beginning of the song, on the line "...tryin' to get a fish on the line." On the album version all male vocals move back up to the third of the chord (a D# note over the tonic B7 chord). On Sullivan, John stayed on the B note from the previous chord while Denny went back up to the normal D#, creating a really wonderful, thick harmony that I kinda wish they had done on the recording! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe9rBM0Oxxw#t=0m47
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:51 pm

A few more...

"Glad to Be Unhappy" - one of the guys' "yeah"s is missing

"Free Advice" - there are at least two different versions of this you might find on "Dedicated" 45's - one is the same as the mono LP mix, the other is a unique mix, different from both the stereo and the mono LP

"Dancing Bear" has the beginning and the ending cut

The Halifax Three's "Man Who Wouldn't Sing Along with Mitch" single - 'Mitch' is an alternate mix, b-side "Come Down the Mountain Katie Daly" is a completely different recording than the version on the first LP, this one recorded the same day as 'Mitch'.
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby cherbette » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Are there any Cass solo singles that differ from the LP versions? Any true mono mixes (not fold-downs) of her solo material?
cherbette

Postby cherbette » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:53 pm

cherbette

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:49 am

Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby cherbette » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:30 pm

Hmmm...hopefully I can locate one. It seems that they are almost identical in appearance so it may not be a simple task.
cherbette

Next

Return to Discographical Data