[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Best LIVE version of M & P song they ever did ....

Best LIVE version of M & P song they ever did ....

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: Best LIVE version of M & P song they ever did ....

Postby CassFanForLife » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Hey there jcg...yes, I saw that too, ( on California Dreaming DVD - " Sing For Your Supper " performance ) and also am wondering what exactly was said... we'll never know, but it sorts of adds to the performance.

Like most of you, I like the Monterey clips for their LIVE stuff, especially "Straight Shooter", " I Call Your Name ". You really hear Cass .

Did anyone from here, actually got to catch them live in person ? I wish I had been born a tad earlier than I was, for I sure would of went to see them live, you wouldn't of had to ask me twice or twist my arm....even Cass on her own....
CassFanForLife

Postby jcg » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi Adam & CassFan

It's funny how uncomfortable Denny looks after Cass' apparent censuring (of course, it could be the Crown Royal!). Here's hoping there's an expert lip-reader among us!!!!

I also love the whole Monterey performance, warts and all. Since I am primarily enamored of Cass, I love the opportunity to hear the Mamas and the Papas essentially as a trio (due to Michelle's microphone mishap). Also: when Cass holds the last "yeah" of "I Call Your Name" on her knees, it's like the foreshock to a giant earthquake! It never fails to break me out in goose-bumps. Just stunning.

jcg
jcg

Postby John Sands » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:06 am

I've often wondered how much, in any, Monterey footage exists that we haven't seen. Any ideas anyone and if there is any can u fill me in on how it can be obtained?

Gracias
John Sands

Postby Nicole » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:09 am

Hi John,
Unfortunately I don't have a clue about existing footage, but I think that's a really good question.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:20 am

Ya know, I don't think they sang anything there other than the songs on the Monterey LP (w/ the exception of San Francisco w/ Scott on lead, which came in the set right before Dancing In the Street, I believe).

I have the Monterey Blu-Ray set, and seemingly the entire set is on there on film (including San Francisco), w/ one exception, and I don't think I've ever seen any footage of it anywhere - Spanish Harlem.
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby jcg » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi Chris

I agree with you. Every discography I've ever seen lists the same set from the LP.

The Criterion Collection DVD/Blu-Ray Complete Monterey Pop is supposed to be complete. I believe somewhere in the booklet that comes with the set, it goes into detail why the lack of footage - including that some people were just too stoned to shoot! I also notice, watching the outtake performances, the large amount of hair that got through the camera gates! it is very apparent throughout the Mamas and Papas set and probably had a large role in the footage not being used for the film.

It would be great if they had included a newly re-edited version of the whole Monterey event in some kind of chronological order, but other than that, the Monterey Complete set is pretty satisfying.

jc
jcg

Postby John Sands » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:28 am

I was thinking of behind the scenes footage.
John Sands

Postby terry anderson » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:02 pm

RE: Sing For Your Supper clip- I have watched this performance in times passed and noticed the negative interactions also. It definately appears that denny was experiencing the effects of Something during this performance. Michele was rather animated and even said something to John about it. Whatever Denny did/said to Cass, may have said, "Just you wait till I get you backstage, cuz I'm going to raise YOUR voice about a tone and a half!" Or something to that effect. Cass would have been the wrong person to rub the wrong way. I guess We'll just find us a lipreader to settle this once and for all!
terry anderson

Postby dunhill » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:45 pm

I believe that the 3 songs that appear on the now out-of-print The Sullivan Years - The Mod Sound are sung live with pre-recorded music tracks (no pre-recorded vocals except backing vocals). You can definitely hear the group singing quite clearly. It's sad that these recordings aren't technically much better than the Monterey stuff, but at least you can hear the WHOLE group. I believe these performances have never made it onto any of the Sullivan DVDs.

Amazon has some available here: .
dunhill

Postby Alby » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi,
my favourite live performances are Monterey's "Got a feelin'" with Cass leading great and the very nice harpsichord in the final part. From Monterey I also like "Dancing in the street", I find this version better than the album's.
I also like "Words of love" and "Creeque Alley" from Ed Sullivan, "I call your name" from Shindig and the songs of Barry McGuire where they do backing vocals in Shindig.

Albert.
Alby

PreviousNext

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)