[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - and I thought I'd heard all her output!

and I thought I'd heard all her output!

What's the B-Side!?

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

and I thought I'd heard all her output!

Postby jcg » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:19 am

I just found this alternate version of "The Good Times Are Coming" that I'd never heard before. Suddenly, the Hip-O collection is no longer "complete."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZG3Fs-hN_o

I keep seeing the name Christopher 60s as the main provider of these incredible Cass odds and sods on Youtube and have seen posts from him on this forum. Let me take a moment to thank him for sharing all the great clips. You rock, sir.

jcg
jcg

Re: and I thought I'd heard all her output!

Postby adamcarr » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:27 pm

Hey JCG,

I think our You Tube angel is ars_Nova_Chris member of our beloved forum.

Cheers,
Adam
adamcarr

Postby jcg » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi Adam

If it is Ars_Nova_Chris, my sincere expression of thanks for sharing these clips. I was too young to have seen most of the clips when originally aired and am really greatful to be able to see them now. Hats off to all those who graciously share the wealth!

Is the version of "The Good Times Are Coming" in this clip available on CD?

jcg
jcg

Postby dunhill » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:09 pm

It's from this cd released in 2000 by Film Score Monthly. If I remember correctly, there are 5 different versions of the song on the cd.

dunhill

Postby John Sands » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:02 am

One of my favorite Cass tracks and the different versions on the album put the song in different lights. Worth getting.
John Sands

Postby Rbcsoup » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:24 am

Charles is right and thanks to the folks at Film Score Monthly who did this package several years ago. We've had a link to it since they were done but it was a limited pressing of 5000 as I recall.

There were some efforts at including some or all of these on the Hip-O package but they were not technically Dunhill/ABC (Universal) recordings so they were not accessible.

I believe if someone delved into the the soundtrack/score of Doctor's Wives and L'Amour we might be treated to some other alternate or extended versions but sometimes soundtracks from that era are not as clear audio wise.

Anyway--they are great alternate versions. I actually prefer some of the more up-tempo, jangly versions and wonder if the song might have charted higher had they been used for the single.

Richard
Rbcsoup

Postby CassFanForLife » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:04 am

Oh my goodness...I loved hearing this clip....
I prefer it over the original slower one to which I'm used to hearing... I'm also in agreement with hearing the more uptempo stuff, simply for the fact that it moves , motivates, etc me to a better frame of being when I hear it . On the other hand though, to be fair, her slower material is just as riveting and moving and puts me in a very relaxed and spiritual mind and can move me to tears .

Her voice is a gift of profoundness...even if you have never heard of her perse, but the songs do, because her voice caught your attention when you heard her on the radio, etc.
CassFanForLife

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:35 am

Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby jcg » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:44 am

Dear Dunhill, Richard, John, Christopher, Chris, etc...

Thanks for letting me know about this. I went to the Film Score Monthly website and found a used copy! $39.00 later, it's on its way to me!!! For anyone interested, I think there are others available:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm?cdID=21

As Richard suggested, it would be great to go back and check the soundtracks to L'Amour and Doctor's Wives for alternates/outtakes. It's so cool to feel like you've heard it all and to find that the treasure chest hasn't been completely raided!

Thanks again, I can't wait to get this!
jcg
jcg

Postby Eran » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:16 pm

I was fortunate enough to have heard of the Monte Walsh CD when it was first released (thank you esteemed forum member, you know who you are ;) ) and must concur; the extended version of The Good Times are Coming is absolutely spectacular.

Knowing the sound of the early '70s, Richard is spot on. This surely would have fared better in the charts, had it been released as a single instead of the slowed down, fun fair-ish version we all know.
Eran

Next

Return to Discographical Data