Favourite M & P lyrics...

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Favourite M & P lyrics...

Postby CassFanForLife » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:49 am

Out of all the M & P stuff, what are favourite lyrics and which ones do you like Cass leading on , Denny on ?!
CassFanForLife

Re: Favourite M & P lyrics...

Postby Papa J » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:36 pm

I really like the lyrics of "Twelve Thirty," "Look Through My Window," and "Did You Ever Want to Cry." "Did you ..." especially has great lyrics that are brutal (but when you lie with dogs, you're gonna get fleas), but brilliant in their depiction of a guy on a downward spiral over his girlfriend's infidelities. And of course, "California Dreamin" has simple but evocative lyrics that take you to a better place. Some of my favorite Denny leads are "California," "Dancing Bear," and "Do You Wanna Dance." Some of my favorite Cass leads are "I Call Your Name," "Midnight Voyage," "Did You Ever Want to Cry," and "Words of Love."
Papa J

Postby Nicole » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:05 am

Hi guys,
My favorite lyrics are California Dreamin, Creeque Alley, Spanish Harlem (I love Denny's lead), Words of Love (Cass's lead), Boys and Girls (the mariachi band is interesting) and last but not least, String Man. I know Michelle sings lead on this, since you asked about favorite Cass and Denny leads, but it is one of my favorite album tracks. Ilovr the lyrics and the music and harmonies are wonderful. I especially love the intro to the song.
Take care,
Nicole
Nicole

Postby Nicole » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:06 am

:mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Sportguynj1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:40 am

Hi Guys,

If I had to pick the one Mamas and Papas song with the best lyrics - in my opinion of course - it would be "Look Through My Window". It is nothing short of a masterpiece - not only in the beautiful, melancholy lyrics but in the vocal performance which is among the group's absolute best recordings. It was hard to pick just one best vocal performance for both Denny and Cass - they are just too great to narrow down to only one song so I picked two for each of them. I love Denny's vocals on "Monday, Monday" - I know he hated the song initially but once it became a Number 1 hit he trusted John's judgment and it became one of his favorite songs - no one else could have sung that song but him. I also love Denny's lead vocal on "Do You Wanna Dance" - it's probably his most romantic vocal performance. I always liked Cass when she belted out a song - "Words of Love" (I know she didn't like singing this one - but again, who else could sing this song like she did?!) and "The In-Crowd" are my favorite Cass vocal performances in the Mamas and Papas.

And if we're going to vote on the best group vocal performance I'd have to say my favorite is their performance of "My Heart Stood Still" - I know this is Michelle's personal favorite and I agree with her - it's that good!

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby Eran » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:25 pm

The Papas & Mamas album in my opinion is laden with underestimated masterpieces.

Safe in My Garden has to be one of my top three all time favourite Mamas and Papas songs. They stayed away from protest songs but when they decided to do one, boy did they nail it down to a T. The way it builds up to the "man can't they see the world's on fire!" climax sends chills down my spine every time I listen to it.

Mansions, Too Late, Twelve Thirty and Rooms are all wonderful in their own rite and yet form one narrative at the same time. The harmonies at the end of 'Mansions' always made me think that this was the dark version of 'I Call Your Name'. Harmonies down to perfection but a bleak and haunting feeling instead. I like my music tinged with a touch of darkness, what can I say... :roll:

Of course, there's 'Dancing Bear' and the vindictive 'I Can't Wait' which while not very nice to Michelle is an anthem to anyone ever been scorned by a partner and is fantasising about payback.
Eran

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)