What Is It About Cass Elliot?

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

What Is It About Cass Elliot?

Postby terry anderson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:17 pm

That is the question I have asked myself for many years now. I became a fan of hers when the Mamas and the Papas were the rage, and followed her and rooted for her when she went solo. I took her advice on how to "Make Your Own Kind Of Music", and it has served me well. She certainly influenced my thinking towards Women's rights back in the day when that was not popular,but she bravely and boldly pressed on, getting little credit for it. By Her example, I tried to impress upon my daughters to be strong, independant women.
What compels people like RBC who is "Simply commited to preserving Cass' Legacy in the truest and most complete ways". Why is her fan base still growing after all these years? The admiration, love , and respect for her is most evident on this very website, which I look forward to visiting often for information on whats new and where to get it. And oh yeah, She could make ANY song hit home either softly or with power! Such a beautiful voice! I most certainly could go a lot further than this, however, the answer to this question has eluded me for many years. So I must ask someone...
WHAT IS IT ABOUT CASS ELLIOT?
terry anderson

Re: What Is It About Cass Elliot?

Postby adamcarr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Terry,
I've asked myself the same question countless times, what motivates us all to keep this legacy going and expand it? I think maybe it's her voice, there's just something about it that speaks to the soul and hooks you. Personally I think Cass was one of the greatest unrocognised influences of pop culture in the last 50 years and introduce people to her work on a daily basis, here in Australia we missed out on a lot, so it's like I'm on this one man mission to get as many people as possible on the Cass "Bandwagon", it's very easy, send them to Casselliot.com and the rest takes care of itself.
Meanwhile my little 20 month old daughter has been hearing Cass since she was born, she loves dancing to "It's Getting Better" very cute!
Anyway, that's my piece, all I know is when I start to question this Cass "thing" I tell myself to stop thinking about it and just enjoy, the voice brings joy to the soul!
Cheers,
Adam
adamcarr

Postby CassFanForLife » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:46 am

A good question indeed....

I'm in 100% agreement with what's been offered in replies...

Now, may i add my 2 cents worth ( maybe further eloborate in poetic form, as this topic has inspired me )

One will never know for sure just what it is exactly that makes you drawn to Cass, but you do , no matter the age, time or place.

For me, I believe it's her spirit, charisma, definitely her voice, as it resonates and gives off an essence that just captivates you and makes you come alive with her , as she sings. Her humour and smile also gives way to the being of Cass.
I'm glad that she was here for the time she was, beacause she left behind an enduring legacy .
She may have been not been what some other people would of expected of her, but yet she had the drive and passion to succeed and give people something of her , and prove that beneath the exterior , a force to be reckoned with took hold . She had a purpose in life on earth...to make herself be known through her gift of music and being.
CassFanForLife

Postby terry anderson » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:23 am

Hey There Adam and CassFan- Thank you so much for boldly speaking your minds about my questions. I can tell that they were heartfelt! This also brings to mind a video that I saw on YouTube awhile back , of John Lennon and Bob Dylon talking about Cass Elliot, John asking bob what is it with the big girl, and Dylon responding," She's got you too, doesn't she? She's got me and she's got all my friends!" Now I'm sure that I don't have the quotes correct, but the gist is the same. The Fact of the matter is, Cass Elliot's Legacy certainly lives on, still putting people together that otherwise would not have met and I think that is way cool. So are you guys! I really enjoy your posts, as well as others on the site who make new finds available to Cass Elliot fans everywhere! She's got you too, huh? Thanks again, you really made my day!
terry anderson

Postby roscoegino » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:05 pm

What is it for me? Cass Elliot was my first example of how a woman could be attractive from the inside out. She truly defied showbiz logic on that front as far as female entertainers go. It's kind of a cultural thing but I can understand how the men she liked would not be drawn to her physically. At the same time, I can also understand how they couldn't get her out of their minds.

What a woman!
roscoegino

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion