Cabaret Tribute to Cass

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Cabaret Tribute to Cass

Postby glennc » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:44 am

Last night I went to a cabaret tribute to Cass at the Skokie Theatre in Skokie, IL. Despite there being several inaccuracies in the narrative i.e. Denny, Zal Yanovsky, and Cass were the Big Three, The performers were decent. They did many songs from the Don't Call Me Mama album. It's nice to know that, after all these years, Cass continues to make a powerful impression on people. I know she does on me!
glennc

Re: Cabaret Tribute to Cass

Postby Rbcsoup » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:07 am

Thanks for letting us know how it went. I heard from the theater company's founder last week and wondered how this production would go... if it's not too much trouble, perhaps you could let us know what songs they did. Was it mulitple performers and was it songs only or also some commentary or narrative?
Rbcsoup

Postby glennc » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:43 pm

Yes. There wasn't a printed program. The sons that I remember were:
Extraordinary,
California Dreamin',
Creeque Alley,
I Can Dream, Can't I?,
Monday Monday,
I'll Be Seeing You,
I Think It's Going to Rain Today,
I'm Coming To The Best Part of My Life,
Don't Call Me Mama Anymore,
Make Your Own Kind of Music,
The Blues Medley (from Don't Call Me Mama),
Dream A Little Dream of Me.

There was narration of Cass' life and career by an MC who also did some singing. There were three additional singers and Becky Menzie (of local reknown) accompanying very nicely on piano and vocals.
glennc

Postby CassFanForLife » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:17 am

Thankyou for sharing that experience...it sure sounded like a good time ! I wouldn't mind seeing something done like that here where i am. at the local theatres where i live. i have seen a similar thing for Abba/BeeGees , where they had these tribute bands do their stuff and even dress like them...not the same as the originators, but close enough that it was an enjoyable show !

Hmmm.... I wonder, where I could get in touch in my city to perhaps suggest a Mamas and Papas or Cass thing....you have sparked my thinking.... If I find out anything, I'll post here.....
CassFanForLife

Postby glennc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:49 pm

Great idea-good luck with that. Glenn.
glennc

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion