[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Under-the-radar Cass Song??!?!?!?!?!

Under-the-radar Cass Song??!?!?!?!?!

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Under-the-radar Cass Song??!?!?!?!?!

Postby jcg » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:23 am

I stumbled on this browsing around youtube and almost had a stroke! A Cass Elliot song I'd never heard before and SOB: it's awesome! It's her version of a Lovin' Spoonful tune. If, like me, you're asking "huh-what?" right now, stop what you're doing and listen to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RA3ZowJ ... re=related

If you're aware of and know anything about this song: forgive my exuberance and please enlighten us as to why these absolutely incredible anomolies in Cass' catalog keep slipping through the cracks. Is this song available on CD (I haven't seen it listed on any of her discographies, but I'm rushing to double check...)? Wow...one unheard jem from this sweet soul and my day is already better! Thanks to ocnarfeara (whoever you are) for posting it!

enjoy
jc

UPDATE:
Not a word about it in either the text or discography of Feigel's biography of Cass, which makes me feel a whole lot less dumb for not knowing about this incredible performance!
jcg

Re: Under-the-radar Cass Song??!?!?!?!?!

Postby terry anderson » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:51 pm

Cass Elliot Par Excellence! Again! Still!
terry anderson

Postby Midnight Voyager » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:25 pm

That song has been circulating for some time now. It's so great! There are actually two takes of it, but they are very similar to each other. Glad you found it!
Midnight Voyager

Postby jcg » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:50 pm

jcg

Postby roscoegino » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:20 pm

I favorited this a while back. Should've been released.
roscoegino

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:28 pm

I believe she recorded it w/ the Spoonful during the sessions for their "Do You Believe In Magic" album, 1965.
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby jcg » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:33 am

Help, I can't stop listening to this song!

It's hard to believe that she recorded this before the Mamas and the Papas. Her voice has such depth and maturity here. I love this song by the Lovin' Spoonful, but Cass' version is the definitive one. If this was indeed recorded for a Spoonful session, is there a possibility that there are more tunes? Is there perhaps an albumful of material just waiting to blow our collective minds?

Here's hoping someone (who am I fooling... Richard, if you please!) can fill in the facts.

jcg
jcg

Postby Rbcsoup » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:18 am

The tracks of "Didn't Want To Have To Do It" are Alan Lorber's. He helped produce The Mugwumps tracks. I think if he had more he would have put them out already. His ownership of them rather explains why they haven't been included in other compilations....and they were only known to exist (by others) a few years ago.
Rbcsoup

Postby jcg » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:35 am

Thanks Richard,

This starts to clear things up, but I'm confused about some of the points you made.

It sounds like there may be a great divide between this Alan Lorber (forgive me but I don't know who he is) and the liscencing of his Cass-inclusive material. While searching for these songs on amazon, I noticed that they were only available as mp3 downloads and not on CD. Has he released them on CD in the past? I'm not an audio expert, but I thought that mp3s are compressed and somewhat inferior to CDs.

Thanks for maintaining this site. I've enjoyed and learned a lot here.

jcg
jcg

Postby Rbcsoup » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:39 am

I'm not sure about any great divides---Alan Lorber, and his publishing company Iris Music, own those recordings. They came out on the CD "Here's A Song you Might Have Missed"

http://store.irismusicgroup.com/hesoymihamig1.html

as well as the MP3's you mentioned.
Rbcsoup

Next

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion