[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Anyone seen this before? (John promo cd)

Anyone seen this before? (John promo cd)

Share stories and discussions about John Phillips.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Anyone seen this before? (John promo cd)

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:44 pm

Ars_Nova_Chris

Re: Anyone seen this before? (John promo cd)

Postby Rbcsoup » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:26 am

No, but Phoenix was his old company--used particularly in the late 90's. Looks legit. R
Rbcsoup

Postby Dark Horse 77 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:03 am

Looks like some good stuff. If it's from the 77 sessions there are some songs on there we haven't heard yet. Where did you find it; I'd definitely be interested in a copy.
Dark Horse 77

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Yup, it's legit, and includes several recordings released no where else that I know of!

"Me & My Uncle" is a unique version, quite different from the Phillips 66 and Jack of Diamonds versions.Starts with the sound of thunder and then rain, and then a string section at the 26 second mark and finally the guitar, bass and drums come in 36 seconds in...

"Mississippi" on there is a studio version I've never heard. "Devil's On The Loose" is different mix than the Jack of Diamonds version. "Venus" is a whole new song I've never heard before (starts with the lyric, "I watch you walk down the street, so simple and so neat, and no one there but me knew you were Venus). And "Graham's Song" is a very different recording than the version on Phillips 66. ("Eavesdrop" is just the 38 second slide guitar thing that's stuck onto the end of "Pussycat" on the Pay, Pack & Follow disc.)
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby dunhill » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:41 pm

Looks pretty neat! It could be the CD equivalent of an acetate as it looks to be on CD-R(?). Anyway, I've got an email into Jeff Greenberg - I'm betting he knows something about this.

~ Charles
dunhill

Postby Dark Horse 77 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:32 am

Too bad all those tracks didn't come out on Pussycat, I'm sure we'd all love to have them.
Dark Horse 77

Postby Rbcsoup » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:20 am

I talked to Jeff Greenberg about this cd.

It's a demo cd that John and Harvey Goldberg (original engineer on the 77 Stones sessions in NYC) put together in the mid-90’s, just before John had his deal with with Eagle Rock to record “Phillips 66” and put out “Pay, Pack and Follow”.

The disc consists of:

(1) then-unreleased material from the ‘76-‘77 Stones sessions (90’s remixes by Harvey): Wilderness Of Love, Oh Virginia, Mr. Blue, She’s Just 14, Very Dread, Eavesdrop, Zulu Warrior; and

(2) unreleased material from sessions John did in Palm Springs in the early 90’s with members of the Desert Rose band (Harvey didn’t engineer the Palm Springs sessions, but he worked on these mixes: Me & My Uncle, Mississippi, Venus, Gram’s Song, If).

“Devil’s On The Loose” is Harvey’s 90’s mix of the ’72 recording with The Crusaders that first came out on the Jack Of Diamonds album (on JOD it was mixed from the original multi-tracks).

Hope this is helpful.

Richard
Rbcsoup

Postby Dark Horse 77 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:47 pm

Very helpful. I really hope the early 90s material comes out on the next Papa John release. So far, they're mostly chronological, so early 90s would be next up after MMMP.
Dark Horse 77

Return to John Phillips