What the...!? CE/Road/Mama 2 CD reissue!!!!

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Re: What the...!? CE/Road/Mama 2 CD reissue!!!!

Postby jcg » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Just got this today and I have to say it's pretty excellent.

To begin with, the packaging is very attractive. The CD has the typical Beat Goes On slipcover over the jewel case which makes it seem more an album than a collection of digital tracks on CD. The liner notes are generally interesting (despite several factual errors and an ill-advised reliance on Wikipedia) and the songs are well annotated. The lyrics from the "Cass Elliot" album are a welcome inclusion.

The remastering is from 2010 by Andrew Thompson at Sound Performance in London. The remastering for the "Road" album, like the Collector's Choice twofer, features Cass more prominent in the mix which makes me wonder if the 2009 Merenstein remasters were somehow utilized for this. It sounds fine, but I have to give the edge to the Collector's Choice twofer: the sound on that one is more dynamic and has more presence. Likewise, the 2000 BMG remaster for "Mama" was incredible when released and remains the superior of the two versions.

However nice this collection is, don't toss either the Collector's Choice twofer or the BMG "Don't Call Me Mama Anymore" sets. The awesome bonus material from both are nowhere to be found on this new release: three songs from the CE sessions and three from the BMG set. The new collection presents only the original albums with no extras. Also, as stated earlier, the sound on the older sets appears to be a tad better.

My sincere wish is that this is but a catalyst in the re-assessment of Cass' catalog here in the USA. Rumors that an expanded CD/DVD reissue of "Don't Call Me Mama Anymore" may be released have been circulating throughout this forum for sometime. Someone (Owen?) PLEASE make this happen!

jcg
jcg

Postby Midnight Voyager » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:09 pm

I became overly hyped up and ordered the new release of the Cass Elliot/The Road is No Place for a Lady compilation. I think the cover is better than the original release, but I mainly bought it for the addition of "Don't Make Me a Memory (Is that it...I forgot the title). The track was listed --- I hope I wasn't duped!

Then I went crazy when I discovered the release of the unreleased 1980's Mamas & Papas album! Where have I been?? I can't believe this finally has emerged! Then I couldn't resist purchasing the re-release of the Dave Mason/Cass Elliot album. I've always cherished my original initially released bare-bones CD (I have the vinyl album too!). I hope there are some decent liner notes. And in my dream world there would be bonus tracks and live concert performances!
Midnight Voyager

Postby Nicole » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:55 am

Hi Midnight Voyager,
To answer your qyestion about the Dave Mason/Cass Elliot cd reissue, in my humble opinion the liner notes were excellent. They do a great job of discussing the songs and the times in which the album was recorded. Hope this helps.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby John Sands » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:47 am

As usual Nicole, your postings are spot on rather than humble and very much appreciated.
John Sands

Postby jcg » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:58 am

Hi MV,

Unfortunately, "Don't Make Me A Memory" is not included in the BGO release, or in the Collector's Choice release of last year. Here's hoping the song will eventually be released.

jcg
jcg

Postby Nicole » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:44 am

Hi John,
Thank you very much for your kind post.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Rbcsoup » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:03 pm

As mentioned by someone else, unfortunately, there is a tremendous amount of reliance on Wikipedia in the notes for this product. Also, one particularly egregious factual error is that Cass did not "cover" Hurricane Smith's hit "Oh Babe What Would You Say"---her album's release preceded his release of the song in November 1972. Finally, the lengthy recitation of The Mamas and The Papas story in these notes is quite misplaced, and really nonsequiter with recordings that were so thoroughly Post Ms and Ps and some of the real foundation of Cass Elliot's burgeoning solo work.
Rbcsoup

Previous

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion