[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Driving me nuts....

Driving me nuts....

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Driving me nuts....

Postby TRAVISJAMES03 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:12 pm

WHat are the voices saying when "Dream a Little Dream of Me" begins (the chatter).

I know the word 'straw' is there, but I can't make out any of the rest! Help!

This question only applies to the "Papas and the Mamas" album version.

I have wondered about what they were saying for years and I want some answer!

PLEASE!

:)
TRAVISJAMES03

Re: Driving me nuts....

Postby Nicole » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:41 am

Hi TravisJames,
I think it's something about a drink. Cass says something like "You're moving the straw from one cup to the other." Then I think Denny says something like "I'm shaking it." Hope this helps. Unfortunately, I can't remember more.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby dunhill » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:41 pm

Cass says, "You keep pouring it from one glass to another without changing the straw."
dunhill

Postby CassFanForLife » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:55 am

LOL...Ah, Cass cracks me up !!! Well, Denny too, shoot they all do but those two in particular....I can and love to listen and laugh for hours on end, ah, wouldn't be a hoot if ever came to light a CD just full of the bloopers, etc only ! I love a sense of humour in folks...
CassFanForLife

Postby TRAVISJAMES03 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:47 pm

Thank you all for clearing up this mystery! I have been a M&P fan since I was only five years-old, and that particular dialog has always mystified me!

I became a M&P fan in '80 when I first saw CE on the Scooby Doo movie "The HAunted Candy Factory". I asked my mother who CE was and she took out a cassette tape of them....and the rest is history (the tape was "16 Golden Hits").
TRAVISJAMES03

Postby Papa J » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm confused - I have never heard that particular piece of dialogue. I've only heard John's intro "And now here to sing this lovely ballad, here is Mama Cass," then Cass clears her throat and starts to sing. The funny thing is that I just got the CD that's supposed to reproduce the "Deliver" and "The Papas and the Mamas" albums, and I bought it just because there is supposed to be an alternate version of ''Right Somebody to Love." While listening to the Papas and Mamas part, John's intro is missing to "Dream" and the "Right Somebody to Love" alternate cut is the same snippet that's included on many of the CDs of the "Papas and Mamas." I believe it's usually included right before "Gemini Childe." However, on this CD, it's missing and only included after the album ends as an alternate cut. When the record album was released in 1968, was John's intro included on "Dream?" How was Michelle's "Right Somebody to Love" presented on the album? I guess I'm wondering how the original mono record album differs from CD versions? One other strange thing, the writer of the liner notes must have been on crack when he repeated that stupid death rumor about Cass and stated that it was believed that Michelle later married Lou Adler after divorcing John!
Papa J

Postby TRAVISJAMES03 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:26 pm

There is a "DALDOM" take that does not include the beginning chatter (I have even heard a version in which the delete John's opening).

Aa far as "TRSTL" alternate take, it is only available on the M&P's CD box set (it is a 'hidden' track on the "Geminie Childe" song - why they did that, I have no clue).

It is also available on the "Deliver/Papas and Mamas reedition CD (it is right at the end of the CD and is not a hidden track).
TRAVISJAMES03

Postby John Sands » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:02 pm

on the Papas and the Mamas one of 'The Right Somebody to Love' tracks starts side one and the other starts side 2 and the chatter at he beginning of 'Dream' was there as far as I can remember.
John Sands

Postby Papa J » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks for the info!
Papa J

Postby Drawer L » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:41 pm

The chatter,as well as John's intro are mixed out of the 16 Greatest Hits CD,mastered by Steve Hoffman.He says Michelle requested it...
---Denis
Drawer L

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)