[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - April 1967 Flip Magazine Article

April 1967 Flip Magazine Article

Direct all "The Mamas and The Papas" discussion here.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

April 1967 Flip Magazine Article

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Enjoy!

(Click the pictures on the page for large versions.)
Ars_Nova_Chris

Re: April 1967 Flip Magazine Article

Postby Rbcsoup » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:49 am

Some great shots there! Thanks for sharing.
Rbcsoup

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:26 pm

My pleasure, Richard. : )

By the way, I believe the guy in the bottom right picture on the first page, identified there as "Eddie Howe," is actually John York. Can anyone confirm this?
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Midnight Voyager » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:48 pm

Amazing shots! How I would love to go back in time and see the show (and record it) and then attend that party! I am fascinated with that shot of them on stage. It's so rare to see stage photos (why???). It's so painstakingly frustrating that, aside from the Monterey Pop show) we have no documentation i.e video/audio of any of their live shows. I want to transport myself into that photo and be right there.
Midnight Voyager

Postby Rbcsoup » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:43 am

From John York:

<<Hi Richard,
If the guy in the picture just joined them as their bass player he would be Bobby Ray, the bass player who turned me on to the gig when he left to start a band called Thorin Shield with guitar player Jimmy Smith and drummer Terry Hand. Eddie Hoh was the M's and P's drummer, not bass player as stated in the photo.
Hope this helps....
John>>
Rbcsoup

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:23 am

Yup, looks like it's definitely Bobby Ray. Thanks, Richard!

Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby John Sands » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:00 am

I'll bet there are lots of pics that we haven't seen. I hope so that is. What about that short clip with Cass holding that 'Cass is Omnipotenst' sign. Surely more fottage of that exists, not just the few seconds that the video producers could afford to licence.
John Sands

Postby Sportguynj1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:03 am

Hi Everyone,

It was a real treat to see this article from Flip magazine with an actual picture of the Mamas and the Papas on stage at Carnegie Hall! I think this is the only picture I've ever seen of them performing here - and being a New Yorker, this was really special. My parents saw that concert and I showed this to my dad and it brought back a lot of great memories because he remembers that concert so vividly even after 44 years. He especially remembers Cass singing "I Call Your Name" on her knees at the edge of the stage and he said it felt like she was singing just for him - that's how good she was and the group sang beautifully. It's a shame no one had the foresight to record this concert - especially since this was such a prestigious venue. Cass, John, Michelle and Denny had said in various interviews over the years that playing Carnegie Hall was one of the high points of their careers. It's also too bad there aren't more pictures of this concert - it seems that most of the pictures of them in concert were taken at Monterey and the Hollywood Bowl.
Oh well, at least we have those!

Cheers,

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby flippage » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:03 pm

A great sharing.
I love those publications which can remind me of those best memories. Just like the concert you named, it seems that people find value of some classic things only after losing.
help you create 3D page flipping flash magazine
flippage

Postby hippie and starfairy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:14 pm

Why wasn't that carnegie hall concert recorded? I mean Judy Garland was recorded! What the heck prevented them from being recorded?!?!
hippie and starfairy

Next

Return to The Mamas and The Papas Years (1965-1968, 1971)