Need help relocating/remembering a rare song performance

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Need help relocating/remembering a rare song performance

Postby Midnight Voyager » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:23 pm

This is a long shot, but...

A month or so ago I discovered a rare Cass performance of a song I never knew existed. I'm very aware with most of her TV performances and rare songs, so I was excited about this new discovery. I quickly recorded the audio --then completely forgot about it. :oops:

Now...duh...I can't find the file or even remember the name of the song!! I'm not even sure if it was a video clip or just an audio clip.The title might have started with an "S." If I recall correctly, it was a performance from a TV show named by the host, like the "Johnny Cash show" ... but it was someone whose fame has faded over time.

I can't believe I forgot everything about it! Does this ring a bell with anyone? Thanks for your wisdom and consideration! 8-)
Midnight Voyager

Re: Need help relocating/remembering a rare song performance

Postby Nicole » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:54 am

Hi Midnight Voyager,
This is a wild guess, but I know that columnist Rona Barret had a show. I can't remeber what the name of it was, though. Sorry I'm not more help.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby CassFanForLife » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:26 pm

Hi Midnight Voyager...

Arrrgghhhh...don't ya hate when that hsppens ?! I'm sorry that I can't be of any help, but hopefully someone will.

I know there are a few youtube clips of Cass on Johnny Cash show over the yrs, and the one clip of her on Johnny Carosn where she sings " Coming to the Best Part Of My life"....

But if you do finally locate the song in question, please share with us, would love to hear or see the clip ...

You WILL find it !!!!!!!
CassFanForLife

Postby Midnight Voyager » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Your responses are much appreciated. Motivated by your support I searched for it again and found it! I was right about the title starting with "S". The song is "Soft and Tenderly." I have no idea on what show it was performed. Is anyone familiar with the song? It's quite nice.

And...I'm embarressed if this is common knowledge and has already been discussed in this forum! :oops:
Midnight Voyager

Postby Rbcsoup » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:14 am

"Softly and Tenderly" is an old Gospel Hymn. Cass was introduced to it by Jim Hendricks who also recorded it. Jim told me one time that she used to get him to sing it over and over and that it would bring her to tears. This is undoubtedly why she chose to perform it. I believe you are correct--that she did it on one of the Johnny Cash shows.
Rbcsoup

Postby CassFanForLife » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi there MV ...see. I told you...where's there's a WILL , there's a WAY...glad the mystery is solved and thanks going out to Richard...

I do enjoy listening to her sing the song on the youtube clip... If she had done a Gospel album, believe me, I would of played it over and over until it wore out....
CassFanForLife

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion