Darlene Love

Share stories and discussions about Michelle Phillips.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Darlene Love

Postby davidasix » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi all,

I saw that Darlene Love has been selected for the R&R Hall of Fame (along with the great Neil Diamond). I know she was on JP's WolfKing of LA, but wikipedia has this to add (and why I am posting in this forum):

"In 1973, she [Love] recorded vocals as a cheerleader along with Michelle Phillips, for the Cheech & Chong single "Basketball Jones," which peaked at No.15 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart."

Much more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_Jones
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball ... _Shoelaces

Forgot that Michelle was called Trixie. Good article here:
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/featu ... ntPage=all

Dave
davidasix

Re: Darlene Love

Postby Nicole » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:32 am

Hi Davidsix,
Thanks for that post. Yes, you can really hear Michelle Phillips and Darlene Love on Basketball Jones. It's also on Cheech and Chong"s1973 album Los Cochinos, which is available on cd. It's the last track. Great song
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Sportguynj1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:33 am

Hi Guys,

Congrats to Darlene Love for FINALLY making it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! I saw her Sunday night in NYC and she was amazing! I read in her autobiography "My Name is Love" that her 60's group, The Blossoms, were hired by Lou Adler and Dunhill to do backgrounds on Johnny River's albums as well as the Mamas and the Papas! That was news to me but she mentions this in the book that the Blossoms were used to "sweeten" the Mamas and Papas recordings. She doesn't mention the records by name but I'm assuming this was for the first album - "If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears" because this was when Johnny Rivers was recording as well. I have also read this when she has done interviews in the past. It would be interesting to know which of the recordings she and the Blossoms appeared on?

Cheers!

Rob
Sportguynj1

Postby Rbcsoup » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:29 am

With all due respect to Darlene Love, I do NOT believe she or The Blossoms are on the group's first album. Will return to this subject after asking Lou or Michelle. Richard
Rbcsoup

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:30 am

Perhaps she's actually referring to John's Wolfking album?
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby John Sands » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:22 am

that is probably what she means. Good point Ars
John Sands

Return to Michelle Phillips