Just Arrived on the forum

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Just Arrived on the forum

Postby LionelUK » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:46 am

My First Post.

May I wish all a Merry Christmas - and if not tooo late Happy Chanukah to others....

I am busy ripping my cd collection to FLAC and my attention will shortly turn to my Vinyl collection. Shortly after arriving in New York in 1965 for an extended work stay, I trawled the record bins at Macy's and from there bought my first two LP's. The Big 3 and The Big 3 Live at the recording studio! Still have them both and play them all too rarely. Cass's music is as fresh today as it was then. I love the reference on the sleeve of the second album to 'the Girl, Cass Elliot'.

Just wanted to share that

Best wishes everyone

Lionel - back in the UK
LionelUK

Re: Just Arrived on the forum

Postby John Sands » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:16 am

welcome Lionel
John Sands

Postby CassFanForLife » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:38 am

Yes, Lionel...Welcome to this fine establishment of all things Cass and M & P's !!
CassFanForLife

Postby Midnight Voyager » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:37 pm

A Big (3) welcome to you for joining the forum! Nice to have someone the UK here.
Midnight Voyager

Postby Nicole » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:02 am

Hi Lionel,
Welcome to the forum.
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:36 am

Hi, just joined. My name is Richard and I'm from the UK. I've been a huge M&P fan since I discoverd them in 1980. Hoping to find out more about them on this forum. Hope to chat to all of you on here. :) Rich.
Richard

Postby Midnight Voyager » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:10 pm

Richard wrote:Hi, just joined. My name is Richard and I'm from the UK. I've been a huge M&P fan since I discoverd them in 1980. Hoping to find out more about them on this forum. Hope to chat to all of you on here. :) Rich.

Hi Richard, you discovered them around the same time I did! This forum has been a bit sleepy as of late. Not surprising though, given that the group and various solo members are from a bygone era. Aside from the group, have you ventured into the solo stuff from John, Denny, Michelle, and Cass? I have a substantial collection of various stuff.
Midnight Voyager

Postby Richard » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:37 am

Hi, I've got every Cass album on vinyl. I love them all! Haven't got any solo stuff by the others apart from the tracks on the anthology box set. I do love Indian Girl by Denny and No love today by Michelle. I'd love to hear John's 1970 LP. I think I'll get the Mugwumps cd next. The tracks I have heard from it are terrific. Rich.
Richard

Postby Midnight Voyager » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:21 pm

Richard wrote:Hi, I've got every Cass album on vinyl. I love them all! Haven't got any solo stuff by the others apart from the tracks on the anthology box set. I do love Indian Girl by Denny and No love today by Michelle. I'd love to hear John's 1970 LP. I think I'll get the Mugwumps cd next. The tracks I have heard from it are terrific. Rich.

It will be worth your while to obtain John's first album. Fortunately, in the last decade or so, fans have enjoyed the release of many solo albums on CD, usually with bonus tracks. John's estate has been particularly prolific, several albums of unreleased material.

Beyond John, all of Cass's solo material has been re-released, most often with bonus tracks.

Denny has released a few albums. His second album, "Waiting for a Song," which was initially only available in Cananda, is great for various reasons, mostly because Cass and Michelle are the background singers. It was released in 1974. Cass handwrote the liner notes, and it's believed to be her last time in the studio.

To appreciate the talents of The Mamas and Papas' most underated singer, you must hear the recent compilation album by Michelle. It contains not only her entire 1977 album "Victim of Romance," but also another entire album's worth of material -- mostly her initial, aborted work with John Phillips, a few years prior. If you have any ill-conceived notions of Michelle, you will be blown away by her voice, and writing ability.
Midnight Voyager

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion