Mamas and papas books

Ask or tell others about where to find Cass Elliot products and memorabilia.

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Mamas and papas books

Postby Richard » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:30 am

I'd love to hear from any of you regarding your views on the Mamas and Papas books that have been published. I have 4 books so far. Papa John was a fascinating read. Brutally honest to say the least! Michelle's book was a good read too (though she was I feel, a little more guarded in what she wanted to reveal.) I also have Go where you wanna go; an oral history. I bought it several years ago, and I still haven't gotten round to reading it yet! What do you think of this one?
I finally bought Dream a little dream (Cass's biography) this week, which I will read asap. Looks fascinating. 8-) Some nice photos too. I still haven't bought the other California Dreamin book by Doug Hall. Does anyone have this and what do you think? I have seen a book on amazon called Make your own kind of music (relating to Cass's career) published in the 80s. Does anyone have this one?
Are there any other books I've missed out:?:
Rich.
Richard

Re: Mamas and papas books

Postby Nicole » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:26 am

Hi Richard,
Yes Michelle and John's books are defintley good reads. (Being a big Michelle fan Iiked Michelle's book a little more. :lol: ) I would also read Go Where You Wanna Go. and the others you mentioned. The Doug Hall book in my humble opinion is an extension of the documentary Straight Shooter, with more detail. A great read also, though. Did you know that there is a new biography, the first one, of John Phillips due out in spring 2012? It's on the John Phillips forum, under new boigraphy, I think. Happy reading!
Take care,
Nicole :mrgreen:
Nicole

Postby Richard » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:57 am

Thanks Nicole,
that's good news about the new JP biography. John didn't leave many stones unturned in Papa John, which was a fascinating read, but hopefully this new book will give some new insights into TM&TP. I would love for someone to publish a new Mamas and The Papas book full of glossy photos alongside some info. I'd be first in the queue! Rich.
Richard

Postby CassFanForLife » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:09 am

I have read all the above mentioned, except for the original Papa John one , as the library doesn't have that. I read all the other books mentioned through borrowing them from the library and the Cass one, I've reread about 10 times and was trying to order a copy through the Chapters bookstore system ( the local bookstore in my area ) whenever I've been to the Chapters store, but unfortunately, according to their systems, the book is for the time being, " Not Available to order "...arrgh !!!??? I live in Canada and don't do online shopping as I don't have onternet at home, and go to library computer for my internet needs, nor do I fancy doing any money stuff online on a public computer....

I would like to eventually though, own , even second hand copies of Michelle's, John's book and truly want my own copy of Eddi Fiegel's Cass book..... In due time I will.... Great reads from all the books I did read tho, the Cass one stands out as my all time favourite and must haves......
CassFanForLife

Postby Nicole » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:46 am

Hi Richard and Cassfan,
Thank you for your replies. You're welcome, Richard.
Take care,
Nicole

Postby Richard » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:20 am

Does anyone have Make your own kind of music a career retrospective of Cass :?: By Jon Johnson published in 1988. I've seen a couple for sale on the net, but they're expensive. If you've read this one, what did you think? Thanks, Rich.
Richard

Postby Nicole » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:23 am

Hi Richard,
I've read Make Your Own Kind of Music. This also is a great read. Much great material about Cass and the Mand P's. Particularly interesting was the listing of her many tv appearances. Definitly worth it. Have you tried looking in your local library? They might be able to find it.
Take care,
Nicole

Return to Products and Memorabilia